Worker made to enter nullah sans safety gear, dies
A sanitation worker died due to poisonous gases while cleaning an underground nullah near A zad Nagar Campbell road in Thakurganj on Monday.lucknow Updated: Oct 16, 2012 14:09 IST
A sanitation worker died due to poisonous gases while cleaning an underground nullah near Azad Nagar Campbell road in Thakurganj on Monday.
According t o source s, Rajendra, 35, was forced to enter the covered nullah without proper safety equipment. As soon as Rajendra fell inside the nullah, he fell unconscious. Instead of rescuing the worker, the contractor Ganesh Dutt Shukla fled from the spot. For over an hour, the worker kept lying in the nullah until locals came to his rescue. He was rushed to trauma centre where he was declared brought dead.
Local residents reported the matter to the police. Till 5pm, none of the civic authorities were willing to take responsibility of the cleaning work of the nullah. It was only when the district magistrate took cognizance of the matter that the LMC accepted that it was carrying out the cleaning work in the area.
Corporation officials said the worker had entered the nullah without the contractor’s permission. They also said that the LMC had written to the LDA for cleaning of the nullah as it belongs to them.
Additional municipal commissioner Rakesh Varma said, “The contractor must have provided safety gear, including belt and oxygen mask to the labourers. The guidelines state that the labourers should be given gloves, mask, and helmet. It is the responsibility of the contractor to follow the rule book,” said Varma.
Chief engineer LMC Tarun Kumar said, “We have already blacklisted the contractor and lodged an FIR in the case. The LMC will ensure proper compensation to the three kids of the victim, as his wife had died last year.
The corporation would fix some amount in the names of these kids. The interest of the amount will be used to educate children. It can be withdrawn once the three children turn 18.
First Published: Oct 16, 2012 14:07 IST