10 things about Eman Ahmed, the 500kg Egyptian woman in Mumbai for surgery
An Egyptian woman, who weighs around 500kg, reached Mumbai for a weight-reducing bariatric surgery in a specially arranged chartered flight on Saturday.
The 36-year-old Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty stepped out of her house for the first time in 25 years to come to Mumbai. She has been suffering from multiple medical conditions and her treatment will be a long process which is expected to stretch over a couple of years.
Here are 10 things about the resident of the port city of Alexandria:
1) Abd El Aty weighed about 5kg when she was born and started to put on weight by the age of 11.
2) She had to discontinue schooling after Class 5 due to lethargy caused by thyroid problems.
3) The continuous weight gain restricted her lower extremities and she started to crawl instead of walking.
4) In 2014, when she weighed 300kg, Ahmed had high cholesterol level and a sudden stroke left her paralysed, impacted her speech and left her completely bedridden.
5) By 2016, Abd El Aty weighed about 500kg and was diagnosed with severe lymphedema and water retention, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hypothyroidism. She has severe obstructive and restrictive lung disease, gout and is at a very high risk of pulmonary embolism.
6) After repeated attempts to avail medical aid from doctors in Egypt and Greece, Abd El Aty’s sister Shaimaa started an online campaign which caught the attention of noted laparoscopy surgeon, Dr Muffazal Lakdawala.
7) External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj, during her stay at AIIMS Delhi, communicated with officials at the Indian embassy in Egypt who had rejected Abd El Aty’s visa application to come to India for treatment.
8) Abd El Aty, who lay in a specially created bed by Egyptian artisans, traveled in Egyptair freighter aircraft Airbus 300-600 to Mumbai and was brought to Saifee Hospital in an open to sky truck, covered by all sides for security purposes.
9) She is currently at a specially created 1,000 sqft first-floor facility, which used to be the accounts office previously. A ground floor structure, created by Saifee for Ahmed was demolished by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) due to lack of permission.
10) Abd El Aty is currently under observation. Before any surgical intervention, she will need a series of medical tests including routine body check-up and a complete body profile test. Doctors will also do a special gene study for the 91 different types of biomarkers isolated with obesity related syndrome.
A special court last week rejected dismissed Mumbai police officer Sachin Vaze's bail in the money laundering case against former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh. Special judge Rahul Rokade referred to Vaze's statement to the Enforcement Directorate probing the money laundering allegations, saying Deshmukh allegedly gave him a list of 1,750 bars and restaurants and asked him to collect ₹3,00,000 from each for allowing them to operate beyond restricted time and occupancy in the pandemic situation.
In a heartwarming incident, Santosh Kumar Sahu - a beggar from Chhindwara district in Madhya Pradesh - bought a moped for his wife Munni. The bike is worth ₹90,000. Santosh told news agency ANI he got the bike because his wife complained about a backache from sitting on the tricycle he owned earlier. "Now we can now go to Seoni, Itarsi, Bhopal, Indore," he told news agency ANI.
The maximum temperature in Delhi is expected to remain below normal after a fresh thunderstorm. The India Meteorological Department data showed Delhi received 14.6 mm of rainfall till 8:30 am. The fresh thunderstorm was also a result of an active western disturbance, resulting in wind speeds touching around 50 to 60 km per hour around midnight. The thunderstorm began around 11 pm across Delhi and National Capital Region and continued till around 3 am.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lead the main event of the eighth International Day of Yoga celebrations on June 21 in Mysuru, Karnataka. As this Yoga day is falling in the "Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav" year, the Ayush Ministry has also planned to observe IDY at 75 iconic locations across the country and is focusing on branding India on a global scale.
After a temple-like structure was found underneath an old mosque on the outskirts of Karnataka's Mangaluru, a Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader has hinted at the possibility of a "Ram Mandir-like campaign" and vowed to continue the legal fight for the premises. A Hindu temple-like architectural structure was discovered in April during the renovation work at Juma Masjid in Malali, on the outskirts of Mangaluru. All Hindus here strongly believe there was definitely a Hindu god.