3-year-old Mumbai boy goes to buy chocolates, dies after falling into manhole
The boy’s mother recognised him from the clothes he was wearing after one of the neighbours spotted a body in the manholemumbai Updated: Oct 13, 2017 21:25 IST
A 3-year-old boy died after he allegedly fell into an open manhole near his house in Nalasopara on Thursday evening. The toddler had gone to buy chocolates from a nearby shop.
Samir Ali and his parents live in Royal Plaza Apartment at Pragati Nagar, where his father Sabir Ali Akbar Raza owns a tailoring shop. On Thursday evening, Samir took money from his mother to buy chocolates. While the mother was busy making tea, Sabir was at his shop.
When Samir failed to return home for a long time, his mother sought help from neighbours and they started searching for the toddler in the area. She recognised Samir from the clothes he was wearing after one of the neighbours spotted a body in the manhole.
One of them entered the manhole and pulled out Samir after which he was rushed to a government hospital in Vijay Nagar where he was declared dead on arrival. Doctors declared drowning as the cause of Samir’s of death.
The Tulinj Police have registered an accidental death report (ADR) in the matter. “We will call the VVCMC authorities and ask them the reason for keeping the manhole open, which cased Samir’s death,” said inspector Kishore Khairnar of Tulinj police station.
He added that a case of negligence under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code will be filed against civic authorities and the contractor if found guilty. Cops are awaiting autopsy report.
In September, a 5-year-old boy lost his life after falling into another manhole in the area.
First Published: Oct 13, 2017 21:25 IST