Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 13, 2018-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

5-year-old dead, 4 others injured after gas cylinder leak leads to explosion in Navi Mumbai

Members of two families in Kalamboli, who are neighbours, were hurt after the cylinder leaked and one of the victims switched on a light

mumbai Updated: May 31, 2018 13:01 IST
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
Hindustan Times
Navi Mumbai,Gas leak,Gas cylinder leak
Five-year-old Soham Katte was killed in the explosion at Kalamboli on Thursday morning.(Bachchan Kumar)

A five-year-old boy, Soham Katte, died and four others were injured after a gas cylinder leaked and led to an explosion in Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai, early Thursday morning.

The incident occurred around 6.25am in LIG Colony, in sector 3, near KLE college.

Members of the Jadhav and Katte families, who are neighbours, were injured in the blast.

The injured include the deceased child’s father Baban Katte, 42, his mother Shubhangi Katte, 32, and their neighbours Ashwini Jadhav, 32, who is in a serious condition, and her husband Nanaso Jadhav, 35.

Members of the Jadhav and Katte families, who are neighbours, were injured in the blast. (Bachchan Kumar)

“I think the gas cylinder started leaking in the Jadhav family’s house at night while everyone was asleep. In the morning, when Ashwini woke up and switched on a light, there must have been some spark in the electric meter fixed inside the house. It led to a huge explosion,” said a resident, who did not wish to be named.

The common wall between the two houses collapsed in the explosion, falling on the Katte family, who were sleeping close to it.

“Ashwini has suffered 70% burns and was rushed to the Airoli Burns hospital. The other three injured have been admitted to MGM hospital in Kamothe,” said an official from Kalamboli police station, requesting anonymity.

First Published: May 31, 2018 13:00 IST