Army to build three foot over-bridges in Mumbai, but what about Hancock Bridge?
After demolition of the dilapidated bridge near Sandhurst Road station, people have been causing railway tracks, which has led to several deaths.Updated: Nov 01, 2017 09:14 IST
Despite commuters struggling everyday after the demolition of the 137-year-old Hancock Bridge two years ago, the state is still uncertain about the construction of a foot over-bridge (FoB) here.
In the absence of the bridge, people either take a detour or trespass through the tracks.
While Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced that the Army would construct FOBs at three suburban railway stations, no solution has been offered for Hancock Bridge. Ashwini Lohani, chairman of Railway Board, said the construction of the FoB is being discussed, and possibly a plan with the civic body will be taken up. However, Central Railway (CR) general manager DK Sharma said Hancock Bridge is a civic issue.
After the bridge was razed, most people are now crossing the railway tracks, which has led to several track deaths involving children near Sandhurst Road station.
Previously, the Bombay High Court had asked the Railways to consult with the Army on building a temporary FOB at the spot. CR officials had said that they would talk to the Army, but Army officials said they have not been approached.
First Published: Nov 01, 2017 09:13 IST