Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 19, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

In coma for a month, after utensil fell on her, 8-year-old is recovering quickly: Doctors

Every morning, the 8-yr-old greets nurses with one motor activity such as a flying kiss, waving her hand, flaring her nose or sticking out her tongue

mumbai Updated: May 17, 2017 00:20 IST
Aayushi Pratap
Aayushi Pratap
Hindustan Times
Mumbai child,tawa thrown from high-rise,Mumbai doctors
Hazequa Kapadia got injured on March 31.(HT)

An eight-year-old girl, who was in coma for more than a month after a wooden tava fell on her head from the 13th floor of a building, has shown great improvement since she emerged from coma a month ago. She is likely to be discharged in a week, said doctors.

The incident took place on March 31, when Hazequa Kapadia, a resident of Agarpada, was returning from her tuition class.

“It happened a few metres away from our home. I heard a scream and looked out of a window to see Hazequa lying on the road, injured,” said Nazma Kapadia, the girl’s aunt.

Hazequa was rushed to BYL Nair Hospital at Mumbai Central, where doctors said that her chances of survival were slim. She was shifted to Bombay Hospital at Marine Lines a day later.

On April 15, the doctors performed surgery to retrieve a part of her skull which had cracked and pierced her brain.

“The nerves at the centre of her brain were damaged. It affected her movement,” said Dr Keki Turel, a neurosurgeon who performed the surgery.

She is now conscious and can move her limbs.

Initially, the progress was slow but Hazequa has shown signs of making an unlikely recovery in the past two weeks, added the doctor.

“Hazequa can understand and follow what we tell her. She needs some help to sit and can eat simple, mashed food,” said Dr Terul.

“She may get her voice back after we operate on her windpipe but she will need extensive therapy to walk again,” said Dr Turel.

As Hazequa’s family waits for her to return home, the little girl smiles and blows flying kisses to all who visit her.

“Every morning, she greets the nurses with either a flying kiss or by waving her hand. Sometimes, she also flares her nostrils and sticks her tongue out,” said her aunt. According to doctors, these movements prove that Hazequa is healing quickly.

Her father, Faizan Kapadia, who runs an automobile repair shop, is praying for his daughter’s speedy recovery. “She is just a little girl but has immense willpower to get better and be back on her feet,” he said.

An official from Nagpada police station said, “We suspect that the tawa fell from the 13th floor of the 22-storey building. We sent it to the lab to check for fingerprints and have questioned the servants on the floor but are yet to find a lead.”

First Published: May 16, 2017 09:06 IST