Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2019-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai civic body solves 48% of online complaints received from Jan to April

BMC should solve complaints related to drainage, water supply and solid waste management (SWM) within 1-8 days.

mumbai Updated: Jun 17, 2017 11:01 IST
Tanushree Venkatraman
Tanushree Venkatraman
Hindustan Times
Mumbai civic body,Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation,BMC

While Mumbaiites registered 28,203 complaints between January and April 2017, on civic issues such as encroachment, drainage and water works, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) acted on just 48% (13,537) of these complaints.

The L ward (Kurla) fared the worst with 89% cases still pending. This is followed by the R/Central ward (Borivli), where 76% of the cases are yet to be resolved. In P/North (Malad) and G/North (Dadar) wards too, BMC is yet to act on 75% of the complaints it received.

Statistics revealed that the BMC is yet to address more than 50% complaints in almost 10 out of 24 administrative wards in the city.

According to the BMC’s citizen charter 1999 (a joint charter by BMC and NGO Praja Foundation), the civic body must act on complaints related to drainage, water supply and solid waste management (SWM) within 1 to 8 days. But a recent white paper released by the NGO revealed that the civic body on average takes 19 days to act on complaints pertaining to drainage.

Milind Mhaske, project director, Praja said, “It is a sorry state of affairs, which is becoming common these days. This data is like a moment of truth for the BMC, which doesn’t seem to be learning from its mistakes.”

As per data available, the BMC received maximum complaints from K/West (Andheri) ward (2,372) between January and April , of which 53% remain unaddressed.

A senior BMC official said, “Most of the civic complaints received online are related to encroachment, where a due process of law needs to be followed and so it takes time to close them. In comparison, complaints pertaining garbage, water works and drainage are addressed within a day or two.”


Areas of complaints

Roads, health, drainage, encroachment and solid waste management. Citizens can register complaints related to more than 187 services on BMC’s website.

Three ways to register your complaint

1. Visit

2. Call BMC helpline: 1916

3. Write to the officials concerned

First Published: May 08, 2017 14:35 IST