Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

MSRDC invites bids for Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway by March end

Evaluation and selection of bids will take a month after March, Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation officials said; work expected to start in May

mumbai Updated: Feb 15, 2018 19:47 IST
Tanushree Venkatraman
Tanushree Venkatraman
Hindustan Times
Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway,CM Devendra Fadnavis,MSRDC
The construction of the expressway, also called the Samruddhi Corridor, has been divided into 16 packages. (HT File Photo / Used for representational purpose)

The Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) has invited technical and financial bids from shortlisted contractors by end of March for the Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway, putting Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis’ dream project back on track.

The construction of the access-controlled expressway, also called the Samruddhi Corridor, has been divided into 16 packages. Last week, bids were invited for 13 of the 16 packages, officials said.

Evaluation and selection of bids will take another month after March, said senior official from the MSRDC, who did not wish to be named.

The MSRDC, its executing authority, has already missed two deadlines to begin on-ground work for the ambitious Rs46,000 crore project — October 2017 and January 2018 — owing to strong resistance from farmers over land acquisition. Work is now expected to start by May.

Officials claim that more than 60% of the land acquisition for the project is complete.

The project is mired in controversy, with Opposition parties alleging that several bureaucrats have bought land closer to the proposed expressway so as to make money by selling it to the state.

The plan includes a 701-km expressway and industrial clusters and townships along the route.

First Published: Feb 15, 2018 13:24 IST