10,000 missing files: Maha CM announces probe
The state government, on Tuesday, announced a probe into the disappearance of 10,000 files on building projects from the building proposal department of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said a two-member committee headed by an additional chief secretary-level officer will look into the episode.
He assured the Assembly that the government would hand over the probe to CID or CBI in case of criminal conspiracy.
The Opposition created ruckus in the Assembly alleging conspiracy by developers and civic officials to regularise the illegal construction of high-rises.
Bala Nandgaonkar (MNS) raised the issue through a calling-attention motion and claimed that some civic officials worked in the interest of developers.
Chavan said that of the 10,531 missing files, 87% were from before 1991, the year when the development plan was framed.
The copies of the files are also maintained by hydraulic engineer, assessment and assistant commissioner of respective wards.
“The BMC has managed to reconstruct 744 files so far. We are checking if the files are missing from all the departments. If so, we will look at the conspiracy angle,” he said.
Chavan said that the cases have been registered under the Maharashtra Public Records Act, which could lead to an imprisonment of five years and penalty upto Rs10,000.
Not convinced, the Opposition kept demanding a CBI probe.
Chavan said that depending on the findings of the police and panel’s probe, the government would decide on CBI probe.
The panel will submit its report in three months.