BMC sends eviction notices to Campa Cola residents
The civic body on Monday evening finally served eviction notices to the owners of illegal Campa Cola flats. Residents now have 72 hours to hand over their keys, starting Tuesday.mumbai Updated: Jun 10, 2014 09:30 IST
The civic body on Monday evening finally served eviction notices to the owners of illegal Campa Cola flats. Residents now have 72 hours to hand over their keys, starting Tuesday.
If residents fail to vacate their flats and hand over keys by Thursday, officials of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will enter their premises, the notices said.
“It seems as though they are working overtime to serve us notices as they began the procedure at 7.30pm,” said one of the residents.
With the Supreme Court refusing to extend the deadline for residents beyond May 31, the civic body was expected to begin the demolition process earlier.
Residents of the 102 illegal flats had been given a June 2 deadline to hand over their keys and it was expected that eviction notices would be sent to them immediately after that. Although they were given more time over the weekend, none of the residents handed over their keys.
The illegal flats on 35 floors across seven buildings in the compound are to be demolished according to February 27, 2013, Supreme Court order.
The last surviving builder of the controversial Campa Cola compound, BK Gupta, died on Monday morning. Gupta had constructed BY and Midtown apartments
Criminal cases have been filed against him, his company and the heirs of the other two other builders, Yusuf Patel and PSB constructions.