City on alert in view of SC declaration of Ayodhya date
Mumbai has been put on alert in view of the scheduled announcement by the Supreme Court, on Tuesday, of the date for the verdict on the disputed land at Ayodhya by the Allahabad High Court.
Joint commissioner of police, law and order, Rajnish Seth told HT that the maximum force would be mobilised all over the city in order to maintain order and curb any violence. He said orders had already been issued to the force to stand guard till the judgment is pronounced.
“We are ready for any eventuality,” Seth said, adding that reinforcement had been sought from various reserve and ancillary civil defence units to help the police with security. The deployment of forces will be maximum at places of worship and religious importance.
He said combing operation was on all over the city to flush out suspicious elements, and nakabandis are on at all entry/exit points of the city. Sources, however, said that with two suspected terror elements still on the loose, the Mumbai police have even more reason to worry.
Asked whether the police would seek closure of schools and colleges on the day of the verdict, Seth said, “We will be monitoring the situation and will act accordingly.”
Meanwhile, the Mumbai police commissioner’s office, on Monday, issued prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. As per the order, citizens must refrain from indulging in activities that may hurt the religious sentiments of any community, following the judgment.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- With 54 deaths on Tuesday, Maharashtra’s death toll reached 52,238.
- Deshmukh on February 8 ordered a probe to check if Indian celebrities were forced to tweet by the BJP to counter the tweets posted by international celebrities who tweeted criticising the government’s handling of the farm laws.