Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 16, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man shoots boss who sacked him 13 yrs ago

A man allegedly tried to kill his former employer for suspecting him of fraud and sacking him 13 years ago.

mumbai Updated: Dec 28, 2010 01:25 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A man allegedly tried to kill his former employer for suspecting him of fraud and sacking him 13 years ago.

Himmat Makwana, 50, shot Govindbhai Dhank, outside the latter’s diamond polishing unit near Janu Compound in Malad (East) on Monday morning.

Dhank, 42, is in hospital and is stable, police sources said.

Makwana tried to flee after the shooting. When the public started chasing him, he shot another round in the air to scare them. He went to the police station and surrendered.

Makwana told the Kurar police, that Dhank often suspected him of stealing a few diamonds when he worked for him in the 1990s. Makwana said when Dhank confronted him on several occasions, he denied committing any fraud.

After one such argument in 1997, Dhank allegedly assaulted Makwana and threw him out of his office. This led to a scuffle between the two. Both parties had registered cases against each other with the Dindoshi police then. “Makwana had threatened Dhank that he would take revenge,” said a police officer from Kurar police station, requesting anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media.

Police inspector Hemant Gosavi said Makwana had returned to his hometown, Surat, and was waiting for things to become normal before returning to take revenge. “Dhank has never been attacked before,” Gosavi said.

Makwana returned to Mumbai on Monday after 13 years to take his revenge. He went to Dhank’s office and fired one round at him with an illegal country-made revolver. The bullet pierced Dhanks’ abdomen. The police and Dhank’s relatives rushed him to Sanjeevani hospital where he is recuperating.

The accused has been booked for attempt to murder. “The investigation is on and the accused has been remanded in police custody until December 29,” Gosavi said. “We have seized the firearm used for the crime.”

First Published: Dec 28, 2010 01:24 IST