Our information led HC to cancel Vashi plot allotment: Cidco
A day after the Bombay high court said Inorbit mall and Hotel Four Points at Vashi are illegal, Cidco said the plot allotment was cancelled after taking into account the information it had provided the court.mumbai Updated: Nov 22, 2014 22:19 IST
A day after the Bombay high court said Inorbit mall and Hotel Four Points at Vashi are illegal, Cidco said the plot allotment was cancelled after taking into account the information it had provided the court.
On Friday, the high court set aside the allotment of 30,000 sqm of prime land near the Vashi railway station to K Raheja Corp. The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by social activists Sanjay Surve and Sandeep Thakur. It ordered the restoration of the land, asking the developer to hand over the “vacant possession of the land” to the City and Industrial Development Corporation (Cidco) within six months.
Cidco public relations officer Mohan Ninawe said: “Based on the information submitted by Cidco, the high court directed the builder to surrender these plots back to Cidco within six months.”
Inorbit mall and Four Points hotel is located at Sector 30A area of Vashi, near Vashi railway station, where the plots have all been reserved for the IT sector.
Following a reported change to commercial use, Cidco allotted the 30,000sqm plot to the Rahejas for Rs 10,250 per sqm in 2003.
K Raheja Corp said it would move the Supreme Court against the order.
The Rahejas have claimed that they had followed the procedure while obtaining land and that the constructions are legal after completion of the legal process.
Real estate sources ruled out the possibility of the mall and the hotel being demolished. An industry expert said: “At most, the developer may have to pay a penalty of Rs50 crore to regularise the land allotment as that is what the Shankaran Committee said the loss amounted to.”
VIOLATION OF NORMS
* In 2004, Sanjay Surve filed a PIL in the Bombay high court terming the land allotment illegal and in violation of norms. The state government appointed a committee headed by the then additional secretary DK Shankaran to inquire into the plots allotted during the tenure of Cidco managing director Vinay Mohanlal
* In 2005, the committee submitted a report stating that the planning agency had suffered a loss of Rs50 crore in the sale of the Vashi plot and that the allotment should be cancelled.
* In August this year, Cidco filed a fresh affidavit in the court admitting that the allotment was illegal and had violated the norms. It had stated that it proposes to cancel the allotment. A show-cause notice had been issued to the developer.
First Published: Nov 22, 2014 22:16 IST