State's reply on countering terrorism half-baked: HC
The state government's reply on security measures to deal with terrorist attacks is worth nothing, said the Bombay high court on Thursday.mumbai Updated: Oct 21, 2011 02:05 IST
The state government's reply on security measures to deal with terrorist attacks is worth nothing, said the Bombay high court on Thursday.
Stating that they are unhappy with the affidavit filed by the government, a division bench of justice DD Sinha and justice VK Tahilramani
directed the government to file a further affidavit within four weeks.
Last month, the court sought details on the status of various articles procured by the government following the November 26 terror attacks in 2008.
The court also wanted to know about the steps that have been taken in view of the recommendations of the Ram Pradhan committee report.
Although an affidavit filed by PT Goud, joint secretary (Home) had spelt out the measures taken, the court felt that the information was half-baked since the affidavit was not clear enough on certain aspects such as the security of the high court and lower courts, and recruitment to the state security corporation (SSC).
The court also said the affidavit did not state clearly whether the modern weapons acquired by the government are adequate enough to prevent or deal with attacks in the future.
The affidavit is also silent on whether all the equipments and vehicles are functional and where they are deployed.
"Do you think these modern weapons will be adequate to deal with or prevent attacks?" justice Sinha asked.
Public prosecutor PA Pol replied in the affirmative.
The court also expressed displeasure when it was informed that the recruitment to the SSC is yet to start.
"We want you to act quickly and promptly. You cannot wait for these things," the court said.
Pol stated that they got the committee report on September 22 this year and the recommendations made in the report are under consideration.
The court wanted to know the time frame within which the state would act on the recommendations.
Pol also informed the court that an amount of Rs600 crore has been sanctioned by the state Cabinet for security measures, including the installation of 5,000 closed-circuit television cameras.
The court was hearing a group of public interest litigations filed by advocate VP Patil, The Society of Indian Law Firms among others seeking implementation of the Pradhan committee report and status of security post the 26/11 terror attacks.
First Published: Oct 21, 2011 02:02 IST