Ghaziabad crime branch team reaches Bareilly for Audi crash probe
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 17, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghaziabad crime branch team reaches Bareilly for Audi crash probe

A team from the Ghaziabad crime branch reached Bareilly to investigate into the Audi car accident that killed four people

noida Updated: Mar 04, 2017 15:23 IST
Chandan Kumar
Chandan Kumar
Hindustan Times, Bareilly
Ghaziabad,crime branch,Audi car accident
The remains of the auto that was hit by the speeding Audi Q7 on the Hindon canal road, killing four people on the spot.(Sakib Ali/HT File Photo)

A team from the Ghaziabad crime branch reached Bareilly on Friday to investigate into the Audi car crash incident in which four people were killed on the intervening night of January 27 and 28 at the Hindon canal road in Indirapuram. The team recorded statements and also issued summons to persons concerned to record their statements at the earliest.

Investigators of the crime branch met Ishaq Ahmad, a truck driver who was allegedly impersonated by his former co-tenant Syed Imtiyaz Qadri in a court on the basis of his driving licence. Qadri had surrendered before a court in Ghaziabad on January 31 claiming to be Ishaq Ahmad and the driver of the Audi on the night of the incident.

“We have asked him to come to Ghaziabad and record his statements. He said he will come with his lawyer,” said Jaipal Singh, inspector (crime branch).

The team also visited Peewada where Ahmad and Qadri lived as co-tenants in the house of a woman named Shabnam. She informed the team that Qadri was in Bareilly on the day of the incident.

The team also went to the house of case pursuer Raj Kumar in Jogi Nawada, but his house was locked. The team later left summons requiring his presence in Ghaziabad for his statements.

Qadri was bailed out on January 31 after he provided two sureties, including that of Suraj Tiwari who is an accountant with a rural bank branch in Bareilly. Tiwari told investigators that he will require some time and will come to Ghaziabad soon for his statements to be recorded.

After allegations of lax investigation by the Indirapuram police, the probe in the case was handed over to the crime branch.

On the night of the incident, an Audi Q7 owned by neurosurgeon Dr Manish Rawat had crashed into an autorickshaw, killing four persons on the spot. Dr Rawat appeared before Ghaziabad police a week later saying that he was present in the car, but the vehicle was driven by Ishaq Ahmad.

Later, ‘Ishaq Ahmad’ surrendered before court and obtained bail. When an HT team reached Bareilly on the address provided on the surrender application, the real Ishaq Ahmad turned out to be a truck driver who was in Gujarat on the night of the incident.

Read more: Ghaziabad Audi accident: Man who claimed to be driving the car missing, neighbours say was honest

He said his driving licence was used fraudulently by his former co-tenant Syed Imtiyaz Qadri. The latter later fled his Bareilly house and is absconding as yet.

HT has learnt from investigators, who reportedly scanned Qadri’s call records data and phone location, that he was in Bareilly till around 9pm on January 27. The accident had taken place around 12.15am on the Hindon canal road near Delhi-UP border on the same night in Ghaziabad, nearly 240 km from Bareilly.

Police officers privy to the probe said that Qadri was in Ghaziabad for the first time on January 30 and January 31 — when he surrendered in court — and reached Bareilly on the night of the January 31.

First Published: Mar 03, 2017 23:32 IST