Kanwar yatra: QRTs set up, sensitive points in Ghaziabad securednoida Updated: Jul 26, 2016 11:38 IST
Officials said the QRTs would be deployed round-the-clock in both rural and urban areas and will also move around in the sensitive areas of Loni, Farrukh Nagar, Meerut Crossing and Modi Nagar.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)
The Ghaziabad police on Monday roped in several quick response teams (QRTs) to keep a check on any disruptive activities during the passage of Kanwarias through the sensitive western UP region.
Officials said the QRTs would be deployed round-the-clock in both rural and urban areas and will also move around in the sensitive areas of Loni, Farrukh Nagar, Meerut Crossing, Modi Nagar, etc.
“All personnel will don black commando uniforms and will be equipped with modern weapons. Although there are no specific inputs, we are still keeping a close watch in light of recent events. We have also deployed special teams to secure the under-construction Haj House near river Hindon and a round-the-clock security cover will be provided till the Kanwar yatra is over,” said Salmantaj Patil, superintendent of police (city).
THE LONG WALK HOMETraffic will be restricted on the highway to avoid the possibility of accidents or any law and order issue
- Heavy vehicles will be barred from national highway (NH)58 from the morning of July 24 till August 1
- Light motor vehicles will be barred from using NH58 from the morning of July 28 till August 1
- Traffic bound for Meerut and Uttarakhand will be diverted through NH24 during this period
- Authorities have also barred the entry of heavy vehicles into trans-Hindon areas from Indirapuram crossing, Kala Patthar and CISF intersection
- Vehicles from Delhi usingNH58 will be diverted via UPGate, Vijay Nagar bypass,Dasna, Pilkhuwa, Hapur andthen towards Meerut
- Vehicles coming from Loni are to go towards Bhopraborder and then towardsSeemapuri border in Delhi.Thereafter, they are to usethe main road towards AnandVihar and follow the routetowards Hapur from UP Gate
- Officials are expecting lakhsof Kanwarias to enter thedistrict on their way back totheir hometowns in Haryana,UP, Delhi and Rajasthan
There had been calls by some political outfits to allow Kanwarias to stay at Haj House in Ghaziabad. Officials said that they held talks with the groups and the matter was sorted out. The officials have also alerted respective police stations to keep a watch on activities of students who have come to study in various engineering and management colleges in Ghaziabad, especially those located near national highway (NH) 58.
“We are in touch with the respective college administrations in this connection,” the SP added.
To further enhance security, officials have also marked the old Dudheshwar Nath Mahadev Temple in Ghaziabad as a secured zone with heavy deployment of police and door-framed metal detectors installed at all entry and exit points. The temple is thronged by lakhs of Kanwarias to offer Ganga water to Lord Shiva.
“We have also come up with nearly 40 watchtowers, including 21 within the city limits, which will be manned by police personnel with the required weapons and communication equipment. We have also asked all concerned station house officers to keep a close watch on the kanwar route from 3am to 8am, which is a sensitive time,” the SP added.
Apart from the QRTs and other security arrangements, the police have also roped in bomb-disposal and dog squads to check Kanwaria camps on the highway.
First Published: Jul 26, 2016 11:38 IST