UP government suspends IAS officer convicted of graft | noida | Hindustan Times
  • Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 01, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

UP government suspends IAS officer convicted of graft

The CBI had chargesheeted Rajiv Kumar stating that a plot in Sector 51 that was allotted to him was converted to a plot in Sector 44 and again converted to a plot in Sector 14A even though as per the rules of Noida authority, conversion was allowed only once.

noida Updated: Apr 21, 2016 16:49 IST
IAS Rajiv Kumar,IAS Neera Yadav,Noida Authority
Rajiv Kumar’s appeal against his conviction order was rejected by the Allahabad High Court on February 24.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

The Uttar Pradesh government has suspended Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Rajeev Kumar who was convicted in 2012 in a Noida plot allotment scam and was sent to prison earlier this week.

Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday signed the order for the suspension of Rajiv Kumar, who was former deputy chief executive officer of New Okhla Industrial Development Authority (Noida), officials said on Thursday.

Also Read: IAS officer convicted in Noida plot allotment scam surrenders, sent to Dasna jail

Considered close to both Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, Rajiv Kumar was accused of misusing his position as an official of Noida in the 1990s in making illegal allotments of plots of land.

The state government kept the officer in the administration despite his conviction in 2012. Also, it took no immediate action against Rajiv Kumar even after he was taken in judicial custody on Monday and sent to Dasna jail in Ghaziabad.

Akhilesh Yadav signed the suspension order on Wednesday only after Allahabad High Court sought a response from the state government as to what action it had taken in the matter.

A CBI court had in November 2012 convicted Rajiv Kumar and Neera Yadav, the then chief executive officer (CEO) of Noida, of illegal land allotment and sentenced each of them to three-year jail terms.

Soon after their conviction, the two officers got bail from a sessions court in Ghaziabad as their three-year sentence did not require immediate arrest.

They challenged their conviction and sentence by filing appeals in the Allahabad High Court which dismissed their appeals on February 24 this year.

Neera Yadav surrendered on March 14 and is also lodged in Dasna jail.

First Published: Apr 21, 2016 16:49 IST