Hockey: Dilpreet-inspired India thrash Oman 11-0 at U-18 Asia Cup
India registered a thumping 11-0 victory over Oman in the U-18 Asia Cup hockey, boosting their chances to make the knockout round in Dhaka on Sunday.
With three players scoring hat tricks, the result never looked in doubt, as India looked to boost their goal difference and confidence after the shock loss to hosts Bangladesh.
The goals started early with the captain Nilam Sanjeep Xess scoring off a penalty corner in the 8th minute. In the 15th minute Xess doubled the tally via another PC conversion, before Abhishek’s field goal in the next minute gave India a 3-0 lead.
Relentless in attack, and constantly pressurising their opponents, India scored three more goals before half time via Shivam Anand (26), Ibungo Singh Konjengbam (30) and Dilpreet Singh (34).
Dilpreet would be named the Man of the Match for an all-round performance which also saw him register a hat trick with two goals in the second half (53, 68). Hat tricks were also scored by Xess who completed his in the 52nd minute and Ibungo Singh Konjengbam (40, 62).
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Three in men's recurve and three in women's recurve have made to the Indian Archery team for the Tokyo Olympics.
- Humpy bagged the award after receiving the highest number of votes from the fans.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran and Manika Batra started their campaign at the WTT Star Contender Doha on a winning note.
- Seven of India’s nine Tokyo Olympics-bound boxers won medals, some of them beating world class boxers. Manish Kaushik (63kg) was the star as he made an impressive return from injury–tear in the biceps required surgery in May—and won gold in his first event after the tough recovery phase.
- The Belarusian coach, who mentored India’s top women distance runners to international medals, was found dead at NIS Patiala on Friday