Tiny citadel to safeguard borders from invasion
Primarily, the fort is part of a quartet of forts that kept a close watch over Pawana Mawal area and Bor ghat.Updated: Aug 04, 2017, 18:14 IST
Every fort in the Sahyadri region was not built to become mere strongholds. Some tiny peaks were also converted into forts but they played the role mainly of a watchtower. These small forts on the boundary of the kingdom would alert the rulers of any upcoming invasion and would try to delay the progress of the invading army by giving a good fight.
The Tung fort near Mulshi is one such forts. Primarily, the fort is part of a quartet of forts that kept a close watch over Pawana Mawal area and Bor ghat. Although, Lohagad and Visapur were more famous than the lesser-known Tung and Tikona forts, they played their role to their potential.
It is said that the Tung fort was built in 1600 and later in 1657, Chhatrapati Shivaji captured it. The fort cannot hold more than 200 troops. However the natural barriers and the difficult serpentine route to the top made the fort difficult to conquer. After capturing the fort, Shivaji Maharaj named it as Kathingad (meaning difficult to climb in Marathi). The fort was located on a strategic position and to have a strong defence line against invasion by Adil Shah’s army, Shivaji appointed his trusted commander Netaji Palkar in this area.
The fort can be reached via Lonavla. The base village, Tungwadi, is 20-km from Lonavla via Bhushi dam and Peth Shahapur. Another route is from Paud – Pirangut Road. The conical peak of the fort can be seen even from a distance. Couple of temples, water cisterns and bastions are some things that one can see on the fort.
What: Tiny fort with a splendid view from the top
Where: Next to Pawana dam, 88-kms from Pune
When: 6am to 10pm