11 labourers killed, 13 hurt in wall collapse in Mahendergarh village
Eleven labourers, including eight women, most of them migrants from Rajasthan, were killed and 13 injured seriously when a newly-constructed wall of a stone-crusher collapsed at Dhulera village in Narnaul sub-division of Mahendergarh district on Friday.Updated: Aug 07, 2015 19:39 IST
Eleven labourers, including eight women, most of them migrants from Rajasthan, were killed and 13 injured seriously when a newly-constructed wall of a stone-crusher collapsed at Dhulera village in Narnaul sub-division of Mahendergarh district on Friday.
The toll was likely to rise as eight of the injured were rushed to a nearby hospital in a critical condition.
“Eleven people died, including 8 women, and 13 were injured in the wall collapse at a stone-crusher site”, confirmed Narnaul DSP Tanya Singh.
“An FIR has been registered against the owners of the stone-crusher Chunni Lal and Sohan Lal of Narnaul under Sections 337 and 304 A of the IPC,” said the DSP.
He added the district administration had ordered a probe into the incident.
Eyewitnesses said the incident took place as the 70-foot-long wall, on which more than 40 labourers were working, collapsed when the ground underneath caved in.
Police said the wall of the stone-crusher unit was being pulled down to make way for a new structure.
Meanwhile, efforts were on to retrieve the bodies from the debris.
The Haryana government has announced a compensation of `2 lakh each to the family members of the deceased.
KHATTAR ORDERS PROBE
Chandigarh: Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Friday ordered an investigation into the incident of wall collapse of a stone-crusher at Dhulera village in Mahendergarh district, resulting into death of 11 people and injuries to 13 others.
Khattar said that in case anyone was found guilty in this incident, action would be taken against him.
An official spokesperson said that the chief minister announced to give `1 lakh each, under an insurance scheme, to the next of kin of those who lost their lives and `2 lakh each from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
Apart from this, he also announced to give `50,000 each to those who were injured in this incident.
He said that free treatment facility would be provided to the injured who had been admitted to civil hospitals of Mahendergarh and Rohtak districts.
The chief minister also expressed his sympathy with the members of the bereaved families and wished speedy recovery to the injured.