Another gangster held for aiding Amritsar Hindu leader’s murder, main accused still at large
Cracking the case: Police have so far arrested four people; main accused are still at large.punjab Updated: Feb 12, 2018 09:49 IST
The crime investigation agency (CIA) of the district police have arrested gangster Jaspreet Singh, alias Gifty, for allegedly helping Saraj Sandhu, alias Mintoo, and Shubham Singh in the murder of Hindu Sangharsh Sena leader Vipan Sharma.
However, Saraj and Shubham, the key accused, are at large since Sharma, the district president of the organisation in Amritsar, was shot dead in broad daylight in Bharat Nagar area near Batala Road on October 30 last year.
A police official, who didn’t want to be named, said Gifty was arrested on Friday night from the Kathu Nangal area, 30km from district headquarters.
“Following a tip-off, raids were conducted in Batala and other hideouts of Gifty, but he managed to escape. He was finally nabbed in Kathu Nangal,” said the official.
- October 30, 2017: Vipan Sharma, district chief of Hindu Sangharsh Sena shot dead in broad daylight in the Bharat Nagar area on Batala Road in Amritsar
- Nov 10: Three gangsters, Shubham Singh, Saraj Singh Mintoo and Dharminder Singh booked
- Nov 11: Saraj’s mother Sukhraj Kaur arrested for allegedly sheltering gangsters. She revealed that Saraj contacted her through WhatsApp using an Abu Dhabi number
- Nov 30: Vishal Sharma, alias Bahman, of Shaheed Udham Singh Nagar and Kunwabir Singh, alias Kammy, of Ganda Singh Colony were arrested for helping Saraj and Shubham in the murder
- Dec 22: Another accused Bikram Singh, alias Ghulla, of Sultanwind Road arrested from Mumbai
On November 30 last year, police commissioner SS Srivastav said at a press conference that six-seven people were involved in the murder, including Gifty.This is the fourth arrest in the case. On November 30, police arrested Vishal Sharma, alias Bahman, a resident of Shaheed Udham Singh Nagar, and Kunwabir Singh, alias Kammy, of Ganda Singh Colony for helping the main accused in the murder.
On December 22, police arrested another accused, Bikram Singh, alias Ghulla, of Sultanwind Road here. He had given his motorcycle to Vishal and Kammy to commit the crime. The police had also recovered a Honda City car from Ghulla, who was arrested from Mumbai.
Both Shubham and Saraj had allegedly shot Vipan while others waited for the assailants at a safer distance, the police said. Saraj also ‘confessed’ to killing Sharma in a Facebook post in November. “I killed Vipan Sharma. He got punished for his deeds as he conspired to the murder of the father of my close friend. This was unbearable….Vipan facilitated supply of weapons to the assailants of my uncle,” the Facebook post of Saraj reads. It goes on to add: “There is no religious angle to the murder and we avenged murder of my friend’s father, who was in Amritsar police.”
On November 11, Saraj’s mother Sukhraj Kaur was arrested for allegedly sheltering gangsters. It was revealed that Saraj had contacted her through WhatsApp using an Abu Dhabi number. Wanted in over 15 cases of heinous crimes, including murder, attempt to murder and robbery, Saraj has been uploading such posts on Facebook earlier too, but has never been arrested..
First Published: Feb 12, 2018 09:49 IST