CKD president, minister Joshi promote Lohri for daughters
Lohri is not mere a festival for the residents of the Holy City. The festival is celebrated with great pomp and show — markets are decorated, the sky is full of kites, there are kite competitions and a few households sing traditional Lohri songs.punjab Updated: Jan 12, 2015 22:49 IST
Lohri is not mere a festival for the residents of the Holy City. The festival is celebrated with great pomp and show — markets are decorated, the sky is full of kites, there are kite competitions and a few households sing traditional Lohri songs.
It is a festival worth witnessing in a traditional city like Amritsar, but the irony yet persists — a majority of the people till date celebrates Lohri for the boys only.
“Lohri is especially celebrated when a boy is born and when he gets married. But when a girl is born, it is a shame to see people avoiding festivity,” said Charanjit Singh Chadha, president, Chief Khalsa Diwan (CKD).
To do away with this bias, a CKD team, principal of Sri Guru Harkrishan Public School Ravinder Kuar Bumra and cabinet minister Anil Joshi came on a single platform and promoted Lohri for girls.
“There was a time when girls had not been sent to schools. But today, girls are contributing immensely to the society and its development. They are shining in every sphere, then why to celebrate Lohri just for the boys,” questioned Joshi.
The CKD president said: “Daughters share the pain of their parents, but sons usually fight for their property. Then, out of hundred, only 10% boys take degrees, while the rest 90% are girls. Thus, Lohri for daughters is a must.”
Adding to this Joshi said, “This year, I have already attended a few Lohri functions that were dedicated to the girls, which is a good sign. Such initiatives will also eradicate female feoticide from Punjab.”
“Let’s take a pledge to promote ‘Dhiyaan di Lohri’ (Lohari for daughters) and say no to drugs for a clean society to live,” said Joshi.
First Published: Jan 12, 2015 22:46 IST