Girl detects worm in Panjab University hostel food, uploads pic on Facebook
The incident happened at the girls’ hostel, where a student uploaded a picture of her food with a worm and an insect in it, on Facebook. The girl also submitted a complaint to the hostel warden.punjab Updated: Sep 19, 2017 13:13 IST
The quality of food at the Panjab University continues to deteriorate despite repeated complaints. On Monday, one of the girl students found a worm and an insect in the food served to her, in the hostel.
The incident happened at girls’ hostel number 5- Savitri Bai Phule Hall, where a student uploaded a picture of her food with a worm and an insect in it, on facebook. The girl, immediately submitted a complaint to the hostel warden.
Complainant Jasveni, student of mass communication department and a resident of hostel number 5, said, “This is something, which is not happening for the first time. Earlier in boys hostel, cockroaches were found in meals and plastic rise were served. I was also served a paratha one day, which had a hair in it. I took the matter to the mess owner and the issue was just ignored. Who would pay for our medical treatment?
She added, “Moreover the food quality is too low here in the mess. It seems it is over cooked. Burnt fried rise is served, which smell foul and taste bitter.”
The student organizations took up this issue and the president of the students council, Jashan Kamboj, said that the issue will be resolved soon and quality checks will be held, especially at the students centre as well.
Earlier the student bodies have been writing to the concerned authorities to get the Chandigarh food department conduct a surprise food sampling but to no effect.
Dean students’ welfare (DSW) Emanual Nahar, however, said, “We have done an inspection but the student who found a worm in her meal, is not ready to submit any complaint. We have told them that we can take an action only if we receive a complaint. We are also trying to analyze the picture posted on social media of the rice having a worm. It could be something else as well.”
Last year, a similar incident had happened when student organizations had protest against the PU authorities for unhygienic food in the hostel mess, due to which some students had reportedly suffered from neurocysticercosis (worm infection of the central nervous system). The varsity had even assured the students to bear the cost of their medical treatment. The complainant in the case Harwinder Kaur, had told the vice chancellor that seven cases of neurocyisticerosis were detected in various hostels so far, due to unhygienic food.
First Published: Sep 19, 2017 13:11 IST