Medical store fined for selling contaminated syringes
A medical store has been fined heavily by District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum for selling contaminated syringes to a consumer suffering from paralysis. The forum has also came down heavily on the role of district drugs inspector.punjab Updated: Sep 11, 2013 21:34 IST
A medical store has been fined heavily by District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum for selling contaminated syringes to a consumer suffering from paralysis. The forum has also came down heavily on the role of district drugs inspector.
Pritam Lal, the patient, purchased single use disposable syringes from Bharat Medical Hall. When his doctor tried to use the syringe to medicate Lal, he noticed that the syringes were not sterilised and were carrying foreign particles. He advised Lal to destroy the syringes.
Lal filed a complaint against the drug seller, manufacturer and district drug controller before the forum. Manufacturer Romsons Juniors India, Agra, prayed for dismissal of complaint as it was not supported by any laboratory report.
District drug controller, Amandeep Verma stated, "The dust particles were visible inside the syringe with naked eye. I have also observed dead insect inside the packet."
The forum termed selling of contaminated syringes as 'nefarious trading'. Forum president, Sanjeev Dutt Sharma and member Ravinderjit Kaur ordered the drug seller and manufacturer to pay Rs 10,000 to the complainant and deposit Rs 25,000 to Consumer Legal Aid Fund maintained by the forum. Though the forum did not impose any monetary fine on the district drug inspector, he was lambasted by the forum
First Published: Sep 11, 2013 21:33 IST