Panchkula cylinder blast: FIR against unidentified persons for illegal supply of gas cylinder
Day after four succumbed to burn injuries and all 7 died, police register case, say workers associated with a private gas agency supplied cylinder to the house.Updated: Oct 25, 2017 11:39 IST
Hindustan Times, Panchkula
The local police on Tuesday booked unidentified people for supplying unauthorised gas cylinder to the Sector-10 house here that resulted in a major blast in which seven people died due to burn injuries.
Sukhwinder Singh, Sector-10 police in-charge said the owners of House No 702, where the blast had taken place last Wednesday, did not have a legal Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) connection. Despite that the workers associated with a private gas agency supplied the cylinder to the house, and this cylinder blasted, resulting in loss of lives and property.
“We have registered the case under Section 304A (death due to negligence) and transferred the investigation to the crime branch,” he said. The police are suspecting that blasted cylinder was leaking but the workers, who supplied it, did not attend to the complaint in due course of time.
“When Ajit and his family went for Diwali shopping, they kept the cylinder inside a store room that blasted after gas accumulated inside the house,” said sources. However, Sukhwinder Singh added that nothing could be said with certainty at this stage. He said the testimony of the wife of deceased Ajit Chaudhary, owner of the house, will be vital in their investigation.
“Since she was not in position to record her statement, the police have lodged FIR against unknown persons. She will be contacted soon,” he said.
Residents agitated over indifferent response of administration
The area residents were furious of the fact that no senior official from the district administration visited them to take stock of the situation. Arun Singh said despite such a big tragedy there was no officer so far having come forward for the help.
TC Garg suffered the worst as he lost his two sons in the tragedy. He was not told about the death of his elder son, after he passed away, as Garg was to perform last rites of the younger son.
Even area councillor did not come to offer condolences or help if there’s anything needed. Residents wanted administration to help in clearing the debris from the house that had collapsed after the incident. The house still has remnants of LPG smell and it could still be dangerous for the locality.
Three families lose their loved ones
As seven people lost their lives, three families have suffered the agony of losing their loved ones. The first was deceased Ajit’s family.
Ajit (34), was a computer engineer and is survived by wife and two young daughters, one a 2-year-old and other 6-year-old. Ajit’s relative said after his death, his wife is in a state of shock and finding it hard to come to terms that her husband is no more.
Young, promising lives cut short
Ajit’s next door neighbour TC Garg suffered the worst as he lost his two sons in the tragedy. His neighbours said the father was not told about the death of his elder son, Pranshu Garg after he passed away on Monday evening
It is because he had in afternoon performed last rites of his younger son Anmol Garg. “It was only before the arrival of Pranshu’s body that Garg was informed about his death. It was hard to see his condition thereafter,” said neighbour Ved Kakkar.
Anmol Garg’s friends said he had got a job package of Rs 27 lakh in Hyderabad in a leading online company after getting his degree in computer science from PEC last week. He was soon to join the job after Diwali. Even his brother Pranshu was working with a leading bank in Mumbai.
Hem Raj Sharma, who also passed away, was living with his wife. His son was working in Ludhiana, while daughter was married in Delhi. The family is bracing up to the prospect of how the deceased’s wife will spend the rest of her life.
‘Lot of time wasted at formalities in hospitals’
The kin of the deceased boys, SK Singla, said during the treatment a lot of time got wasted in unnecessary paper formalities, first at Sector-6 Civil Hospital and then at GMCH-32. “We were initially told that boys had 30-35% burn injuries and they will be saved. But we were left shocked when both the boys could not be survived,” he said. Pranshu was even shifted to Mohali’s Fortis from GMCH-32.
Sanjeev Bhandari, kin of deceased Ajit Chaudhary, also said there was a shortage of ventilator at GMCH-32 but it was sorted out later.
First Published: Oct 25, 2017 11:39 IST