Principals of two grant-in-aid colleges working after retirement
Despite instructions from Punjab deputy director colleges that no employee after the age of 60 can be reappointed by a college management, principals of two grant-in-aid colleges are continuing to work even after retirement.punjab Updated: Nov 24, 2014 16:34 IST
Despite instructions from Punjab deputy director colleges that no employee after the age of 60 can be reappointed by a college management, principals of two grant-in-aid colleges are continuing to work even after retirement.
Charanjit Kaur Mahal, principal of Guru Nanak Girls College, Model Town, has continued her tenure even after her retirement on October 24.
Besides, Madhu Prashar, principal of Dev Samaj College for Women, Ferozepur City, is also still working as the college principal, five months after her retirement.
On October 21, Jagdeep Singh, deputy director colleges, Punjab, had issued a letter to the grant-in-aid colleges stating, “No employee after the age of 60 can be reappointed by the college managements and if any management still reappoints the same person, we will take necessary action and will not honour any document signed by the principal.”
Talking to Hindustan Times, director public instructions (colleges), Punjab, Gurdev Singh Ghuman, said, “The principals can’t continue to work beyond 60. I will write to the college managements regarding this.”
When contacted, Jagdeep Singh said, “I am aware of this matter. We have written to the college managements and warned them against allowing any employee to continue their services beyond 60 years of age. If they still continue to do so, we will stop providing them grants, as the grant-in-aid colleges get 95% grants from the government, while the remaining 5% is paid by the college management.”
Despite repeated attempts, both the principals were not available for comments.
Prof Kuldeep Singh, fellow, Panjab University, and state president of Punjab and Chandigarh College Teachers Union (PCCTU) said, “The college managements should not allow their employees to continue their services after the retirement age. If any colleges do so, then there is a need to take action against them, so that other colleges do not violate the rules."
First Published: Nov 24, 2014 16:32 IST