Teachers protest over non-receipt of salaries
Around 1,500 teachers of aided colleges in Punjab staged a protest against the Punjab government on Monday for not releasing the grant, meant for their salaries, for the last 18 months.Updated: Dec 16, 2014 13:35 IST
Around 1,500 teachers of aided colleges in Punjab staged a protest against the Punjab government on Monday for not releasing the grant, meant for their salaries, for the last 18 months.
In Ludhiana, around 600 teachers along with non-teaching staff protested in their respective colleges. They have boycotted the semester examination due to which Panjab University had to postpone the examination till January 2.
Talking to Hindustan Times, Punjab and Chandigarh College Teachers Union’s (PCCTU) state president Prof Kuldeep Singh said, “We have boycotted the duty for two exams, one was to be held on December 15 and the other was scheduled on December 19.
“Though the decision was very painful, we had to take it. On December 17, we are going to hold a joint action committee meeting in Jalandhar to decide the further course of action,” Singh said.
He said that the union expected the government to release the grant. “In case the government fails to do so, we will intensify our stir by boycotting the classes from January 15.”The protesters said that it was difficult to meet the daily needs without salaries.
He said the state government funded 95 per cent of the salaries to grant-in-aid colleges and the remaining 5 per cent was paid to the teachers by the college managements.
A teacher, requesting anonymity, said, “We have not received salaries for the last 18 months so we are forced to observe the strike. We have to run our households and we have to pay the fees of our children studying in educational institutions. If government fails to pay, we will not take classes from January 15.”
First Published: Dec 16, 2014 13:30 IST