Priest, 5 others convicted in gang rape case

The incident hit the national headlines on June 19, 2018, when five anti-human trafficking activists, working with an NGO supported by the Christian missionary, were abducted by armed men from RC Mission School in Khunti’s Kochang block, taken to a nearby forested area and raped.
A court in Khunti on Tuesday convicted Father Alphonse Aind, who ran a missionary school, and five others in the 2018 Kochang gang rape incident.(AP)
A court in Khunti on Tuesday convicted Father Alphonse Aind, who ran a missionary school, and five others in the 2018 Kochang gang rape incident.(AP)
Published on May 08, 2019 05:53 AM IST
Copy Link
Ranchi | By

A court in Khunti on Tuesday convicted Father Alphonse Aind, who ran a missionary school, and five others in the 2018 Kochang gang rape incident.

The incident hit the national headlines on June 19, 2018, when five anti-human trafficking activists, working with an NGO supported by the Christian missionary, were abducted by armed men from RC Mission School in Khunti’s Kochang block, taken to a nearby forested area and raped.

The abductors also video-graphed the act and forced the victims to drink urine. The girls were released after three hours.

The court has fixed May 8 as date to hear arguments on the quantum of sentence, which would be pronounced on May 15.

According to the police, besides Fr Aind, the six perpetrators, one of them juvenile, were members of the banned rebel outfit People’s Liberation Front of India (PLFI) and Pathalgarhi leaders.

Fr Aind of the RC Mission School, from where the women were abducted, was accused of hatching conspiracy and not reporting/informing the police about girls’ abduction and subsequent rape.

The police had submitted charge sheet in September last year and trial commenced on October 24 the same year.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Bedanti Saran is Special Correspondent in Jharkhand and has been handling legal beats, CBI, ED, Income Tax and other investigation wings for over a decade

Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Sushil Modi further said that Yadav owned 141 land plots and 30 flats, besides having a dozen houses, whose proof was available in 'Lalu Leela', a book written by Modi.

    BJP’s Sushil Modi shares Lalu Yadav’s ‘modus operandi’ as CBI conducts searches

    As the Central Bureau of Investigation carried out raids on properties linked with Lalu Prasad Yadav on Friday, Bharatiya Janata Party leader Sushil Modi said the Rashtriya Janata Dal president's modus operandi was to lure people seeking jobs in exchange for land. The Rajya Sabha MP further said that Yadav owned 141 land plots and 30 flats, besides having a dozen houses, whose proof was available in 'a book written by Modi', Lalu Leela.

  • Indonesian artist Zabylla performed at the cultural tech event, Techsrijan, held at the MMMUT Gorakhpur campus on May 14 night.

    Ruckus at Gorakhpur campus over Indonesian artist Zabylla’s programme

    LUCKNOW: Activists of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad staged a demonstration at Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology Gorakhpur campus on Thursday as they alleged university has “spread obscenity” by inviting an Indonesian artist who is more of a porn star at a programme held on the campus. The university officials with the help of their students attacked them. But the university official alleged that Gorakhpur Mahanagar, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad created a ruckus.

  • Former Punjab Congress president Navjot Singh Sidhu has been sentenced by the Supreme Court to one year in jail in a 1988 road rage case. (HT file photo)

    Punjab Congress backs Sidhu after SC's 1-year jail order in 1988 road rage case

    Punjab Congress president Amarinder Singh Raja Warring and Congress Legislature Party leader Partap Singh Bajwa on Friday came out in support of party leader Navjot Singh Sidhu, who has been sentenced by the Supreme Court to one year in jail in a 1988 road rage case.

  • Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai said that the notification issued by the BDA to categorise a ‘water body’ as a residential land will be cancelled.

    CM Bommai scraps BDA's controversial water body conversion notice after outrage

    The Bengaluru Development Authority came under fire on social media when it put out a notice looking to categorise a 'water body' as residential property as there was a cartographical error in its 2015 plan. Considering the outrage it sparked by the citizens, Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai, who holds the Bengaluru Development portfolio himself, on Friday decided to scrap the notice. Many angry netizens took to Twitter and expressed their dissent.

  • Karnataka chief minister Basavaraj Bommai said 8 task forces will be made to monitor developmental work. (PTI)

    Karnataka govt to constitute 8 task forces to monitor development in Bengaluru

    Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said a task force headed by a Minister will be constituted for all the eight zones in the city to monitor developmental work and to take necessary decisions in their respective jurisdictions whenever there is any emergency like heavy rains. Several areas were flooded and houses were inundated in many parts of the city following the torrential rain that lashed Bengaluru on Tuesday night and incessant rains thereafter.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, May 20, 2022