Capello reveals call to Beckham over England axe
David Beckham has received a personal phone call from England manager Fabio Capello to explain why he controversially ended the midfielder's international career without telling him first.sports Updated: Aug 29, 2010 14:26 IST
David Beckham has received a personal phone call from England manager Fabio Capello to explain why he controversially ended the midfielder's international career without telling him first.
Beckham was said to be aghast when Capello announced in a televised interview ahead of a friendly fixture against Hungary earlier this month that the England legend would no longer be considered for selection because he is too old.
The news came as Beckham was recovering from an Achilles injury that had ruled him out of thee World Cup and despite constant assertions from the LA Galaxy star that he has no intention of retiring from international football.
Capello later claimed Beckham, who has 115 caps for England and is just 10 short of record holder Peter Shilton, would be allowed one last farewell appearance in a friendly at Wembley to say goodbye.
But after the Italian received intense criticism for the way he handled the announcement, being accused of showing a lack of respect for Beckham, he has finally opted to make contact with the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star.
Capello said: "I spoke honestly with a journalist in the TV interview. The question was 'what do you think about David'. What was I meant to do? Say 'wait, I have to stop and phone Beckham'?
"But immediately after the interview Franco Baldini spoke with David to tell him what had happened.
"Since then I spoke directly with David on the telephone and I explained what really happened - and the relationship is really good.
"I spoke with David because he was part of the staff at the World Cup. I usually don't speak on the phone with the players, in my career I never did this."
First Published: Aug 29, 2010 14:25 IST