By Jayashree Nandi, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JUL 29, 2021 04:36 AM IST
This monsoon has seen a spate of cloudbursts and mini cloudbursts over the Western Himalayas and the west coast revealing the deadly, unpredictable face of monsoon rains.
PTI | , New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUN 01, 2021 04:21 PM IST
- Heat-related mortality was defined as the number of deaths attributed to heat, occurring at exposures higher than the optimum temperature for human health, which varies across locations.
By Bharati Chaturvedi, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON MAY 31, 2021 03:00 AM IST
- Our model till date has prevented loss of life and help impacted persons to rebuild. India cannot afford this anymore, because we will be hit by more frequent, more severe cyclones in the coming years.
Reuters | , The Hague
PUBLISHED ON MAY 27, 2021 05:52 AM IST
At a court room in The Hague, judge Larisa Alwin read out a ruling which ordered Shell to reduce its planet warming carbon emissions by 45% by 2030 from 2019 levels.
By Bharati Chaturvedi, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON MAY 03, 2021 05:19 AM IST
- Future crises may paralyse city infrastructure. Decentralization of some pollution control can reduce the risks to our health.
PTI | | Posted by Srivatsan K C, Berlin
PUBLISHED ON APR 27, 2021 05:27 AM IST
Germany's environment minister Svenja Schulze said she and her Chinese counterpart Huang Runqui discussed how Beijing can bring forward the year when it will start reducing emissions and cuts its use of coal
Reuters | , Washington
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 02:32 AM IST
The global sector emits 1 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide each year, according to the Ocean Conservancy, on par with Germany's annual emissions.
AFP | , Geneva
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 08:06 AM IST
The call comes alongside a major report ahead of US President Joe Biden’s climate summit on Thursday and Friday.
By Sutirtho Patranobis, Beijing
UPDATED ON APR 19, 2021 08:12 AM IST
China and the US, together with other countries, are committed to cooperating with each other on tackling the climate crisis, to be addressed with the seriousness and urgency that it demands, the joint statement said.
PTI | , Dhaka
PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 04:54 PM IST
John Kerry arrived in Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, to hear what the South Asia delta nation has done to cope with weather extremes and rising sea levels ahead of a virtual summit on climate change that Biden is hosting this month.
Reuters | , Beijing
PUBLISHED ON MAR 21, 2021 07:42 AM IST
The top Chinese and US diplomats, in their first meeting of Joe Biden's presidency on Thursday and Friday, publicly rebuked each other's policies at the start of what Washington called "tough and direct" talks in Alaska.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 15, 2021 05:10 PM IST
- Russia will do its best to profit from the opportunities unveiled by the melting ice, even as it struggles to deal with the impacts of climate change in its own territory.
Reuters | , London
PUBLISHED ON MAR 10, 2021 11:57 AM IST
Is a beer, a cup of coffee or a spliff more damaging for the climate? If the cannabis is cultivated indoors on a commercial scale, the answer is probably the joint.
By hindustantimes.com, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON MAR 03, 2021 12:45 PM IST
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
By Jayashree Nandi, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON MAR 03, 2021 04:19 PM IST
The outlook for 2021 is worrying. According to IMD’s Monsoon Mission Coupled Forecasting System , the forecast suggests above-normal seasonal maximum and minimum temperatures are likely over most of India
Reuters | , London
PUBLISHED ON FEB 11, 2021 02:42 PM IST
- The Anglo-Dutch company is in the midst of its largest overhaul yet as it prepares to expand its renewables and low-carbon business in the face of growing investor pressure on the oil and gas sector to battle climate change.
ANI | , Potsdam
PUBLISHED ON FEB 08, 2021 07:16 PM IST
- This is the key result of a new study by a team of economists that looked at Covid-19's impact on the energy system and demand for electricity. Their findings show that the pandemic has opened a window of opportunity to make this current trend of decreasing coal use irreversible.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 02, 2021 11:26 AM IST
The revised estimates published Tuesday in Ocean Science impact the two-fifths of the Earth’s population who live near coastlines. Insured property worth trillions of dollars could face even greater danger from floods, superstorms and tidal surges.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 23, 2021 07:42 PM IST
About 150 kilometers of pipe had been installed and an additional 2.2 kilometers had been completed at the Canada-US border. That would amount to nearly 48,000 tons of steel, assuming standard dimensions of line pipe, according to Bloomberg calculations based on industry criteria.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 23, 2021 06:25 PM IST
- Officials are worried that technical permitting decisions are being placed in the hands of political appointees, rather than expert regulators in the field. And they’re concerned permits -- or simply changes to them -- will be delayed for existing drilling operations.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 17, 2021 05:13 PM IST
The deal requires signatories to implement adaptation measures through national planning, but also through funding to at-risk countries.
Washington [US] | By Asian News International | Posted by Jahnavi Gupta
UPDATED ON DEC 24, 2020 06:08 PM IST
While global sea levels are rising due to the climate crisis and threatening near-coastal infrastructures, higher temperatures in other areas are having exactly the opposite effect.
PUBLISHED ON DEC 22, 2020 06:54 PM IST
It is not just the Centre; states have a key role too. The State Action Plans on Climate Change (SAPCCs) need upscaling and capacity enhancement
By Syed Akbaruddin
UPDATED ON DEC 16, 2020 09:28 PM IST
India has been an overachiever on Paris — but the road ahead is strewn with challenges
Hindustan Times | By HT Correspondent
UPDATED ON DEC 11, 2020 07:43 PM IST
There is both urgency and hope. India deserves accolades for its record
By Ajay Mathur and Ritu Ahuja
UPDATED ON DEC 11, 2020 08:15 PM IST
India is well-equipped for a new chapter of climate collaboration and competition. The Paris Agreement gives it an opportunity to build on this and create a template for climate change behaviour and action in developing countries
Hindustan Times, London | By Prasun Sonwalkar
PUBLISHED ON NOV 27, 2020 10:36 PM IST
A Downing Street spokesperson said the two prime ministers discussed joint efforts to find treatment and vaccines for Covid-19, and welcomed the collaboration between the two countries’ leading scientists
Hindustan Times, Washington | By Yashwant Raj , edited by Vinod Janardhanan
UPDATED ON NOV 25, 2020 11:37 AM IST
Biden’s nominee for ambassador to the UN, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, an African American diplomat with 35 years in the foreign service, summed up the new team’s ethos and purpose with a similar sentiment: “America is back. Multilateralism is back. Diplomacy is back.”
By Bloomberg | Posted by Nilavro Ghosh
PUBLISHED ON NOV 13, 2020 12:10 AM IST
The British prime minister said that it was “extremely exciting” to discuss the global response to the environment.
UPDATED ON NOV 10, 2020 11:32 AM IST
The election of Joe Biden as the president of the United States is good news for the environment