27 places to see before you die
The Taj Mahal has made it to CNN's global "27 places to see before you die" list. While Java's Borobudur at sunrise sits right on top, Starlings murmuration of Brighton Pier's comes second, followed by Scandinavia's Northern Lights. Here's the complete list.travel Updated: Jul 14, 2012 15:46 IST
The Taj Mahal, which is a white marble mausoleum located in the Indian state of Agra, has made it on to CNN's global "27 places to see before you die" list.
Cornwall's ruined tin mines have also been named among the world's 27 'must see places before you die' by a top US broadcaster.
Perched on the cliff edge near St Just, Penzance, the mines, have been chosen alongside the likes of the Northern Lights, Sydney Harbour and the Taj Mahal as a must-see destination.
The ruins of the structures which once housed the mining machinery are a "dramatic counterpoint" to the rugged rocks and wild seas of Cornwall's north coast, according to the list by CNN.
"The tin mines may be closed, but the ruins of the structures which once housed them near St Just make a thrillingly dramatic counterpoint to the rugged rocks and wild seas of Cornwall's north coast," the Daily Mail quoted CNN as saying.
The mines are among three places in Britain which made the list, just scraping in at number 27.
Witnessing a starling murmuration at Brighton Pier made number two in the list, while the Lake District made it at number 24.
Topping the list is Borobudur at sunrise in Java, Indonesia, with the Brighton starlings a close second.
Third is the Northern Lights in Scandinavia, followed closely by the great migration in East Africa.
The fifth and six spot is filled by the star-filled sky, in New Zealand and the Torres del Paine in Chile.
Morocco's Djemaa el Fna is in seventh place and California's Yosemite peaks is the eight must see place to see before death.
Number nine is Santa Maria della Salute in Venice, the Jungle pyramids in Mexico is number ten and 11 is the electrical storm in Tornado Alley, USA.
The famous Sydney Harbour comes in at 12, with the inside of Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland at 13.
Number 14 is Monument Valley in the US and 15 is India's Taj Mahal.
The Kasanka bat migration in Zambia, Carlsbad Cavern in America, Lunar rainbow in Zambia and Shubenacadie tidal bore in Canada take the 16,17,18 and 19 spots.
Cape Tribulation in Australia, Rock Face City of Petra in Jordan, Enrosadira in Italy and Fairy Chimneys in Turkey take up the spots from 20 to 23.
England's Lake District is at 24, with the Sardine run in South Africa at 25.
The last two spaces are filled by the pristine beaches of Islas Cies in Spain and finally, Cornwall's ruined mines come in at 27.
"There are some things you can see around the world that have the potential to give you photo-showing rights for decades," CNN said.
"We haven't got them all - in fact we barely scratched the surface. But we have picked out a few of the scenes that, if you're lucky enough to witness them, will invariably leave you spellbound," it added.
The 27 sites to see before you die are:
1. Borobudur at sunrise - Java (Indonesia)
2. Starling murmuration - Brighton Pier (England)
3. Northern Lights - Scandinavia
4. The great migration - East Africa
5. Star-filled sky - Mackenzie Basin (New Zealand)
6. Torres del Paine - Chile
7. Djmaa el Fna - Marrakech (Morocco)
8. Yosemite peaks - California (United States)
9. Santa Maria Salute - Venice (Italy)
10. Jungle pyramids - Palenque (Mexico)
11. Electrical storm - Tornado Alley (United States)
12. Sydney Harbour - Australia
13. Inside the Thrihnukagigur volcano (Iceland)
14. Monument Valley - United States
15. Taj Mahal - India
16. Kasanka bat migration - Zambia
17. Carlsbad Cavern - New Mexico (United States)
18. Lunar rainbow - Victoria Falls (Zambia)
19. Shubenaca die tidal bore - Canada
20. Cape Tribulation - Australia
21. Rock face city of Petra - Jordan
22. Enrosadira - Dolomites (Italy)
23. Fairy chimneys - Cappadocia (Turkey)
24. Lake District lakes - England
25. Sardine run - South Africa
26. Pristine beaches of Islas Cies - Spain
27. Cornwall's ruined mines - England
First Published: Jul 14, 2012 15:46 IST