Karan Singh Grover calls life with Bipasha Basu heavenly: ‘The beautiful life that everyone talks about is now very evident’
Actor Karan Singh Grover, who made a remarkable comeback as the grey-haired Mr Bajaj in Kasautii Zindagii Kay, has now made his digital debut with web series, BOSS - Baap of Special Services. The actor plays a mysterious cop who has his own twisted ways of carrying out an investigation and is seen opposite actor Sagarika Ghatge, the righteous cop. On the personal front, Karan is all set to return to the silver screen with wife Bipasha Basu and feels lucky to have found her.
In an exclusive interview to Hindustan Times, the actor spoke about the reason behind his long absence from our screens, his life with Bipasha and why he finds a negative character more appealing than the hero. Excerpts:
What is so mysterious about your web series, BOSS?
It’s called Baap of Special Services because the way he solves the crime is very different from how a normal cop functions. He sees everything from the criminal point of view. The reason why he does that is understood when one watches the show.
Is it a love story?
No, not really. The camaraderie between the two characters is amazing. The way the characters bounce off each other is good to watch. My character has a hidden motive why he is being a cop right now. Sakshi, Sagarika’s character, is the best kind of cop that can be. She goes by the book and follows all rules and regulations. She does everything the right way. The way they solve a case and the way they are is very opposite of each other.
Any other web series you have liked in recent times?
I like Daredevil, Iron Fist and all the Marvel series. Sacred Games and Mirzapur are very enjoyable. Delhi Crime is also a well-made show. Then there is Game of Thrones, Mozart and many others.
You have returned to work after three years? Was it a sabbatical?
Not really. I worked on three films in the meantime. There is a film called Firrkie that will come probably by the end of the year. There is another film, Aadat which stars both Bipasha and me. It should be out this year. Other than that, I was painting.
You play a negative character - - Mr Bajaj on Kasautii Zindagii Kay. Do you like playing a villain than playing the hero?
There are more things to do when one plays a grey character. Most heroes are very boring. They are always so righteous and do everything they are supposed to do. With a grey or a negative character, there is a lot more that you can play. There is a lot that you can add to the character that is not ‘you’ in reality. There is much more that you can do which you can’t do in real life. That’s a little bonus.
Also read: Nach Baliye 9 contestant Faisal Khan: ‘It would be good if exes become a couple again due to the show’
Were you not apprehensive of sporting grey hair?
Grey is mostly better than black. Everyone grows up and gets to a certain age and then gets greys, which means you have to put in so much effort and so much of your life to achieve those medals. I don’t think of them as anything else but your trophies that you earn because if it was not that, we would be born with white hair. There is a reason why you spend so much time and earn so much experience and then get to it. To be playing a character which is a little older and has grey hair is something that is different from real life and different from characters I have played before, its only a win-win situation.
You and Bipasha have been married for three years. How would you describe your married life?
It’s been awesome, heavenly actually. Life has changed completely. The beautiful life that everyone talks about is now very evident. The understanding of what life is and what love is, what family is very clear. I am very lucky to have found her.
Author tweets @ruchik87
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunayana Fozdar, the new Anjali on Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, has said she has played the character for just five months and have so much to give to the role.
- Weeks after calling her an "ugly mouth woman" on Bigg Boss 14, season winner Rubina Dilaik has now said she finds Jasmin Bhasin to be a beautiful lady.
- Bigg Boss 14 runners up Rahul Vaidya and his girlfriend, actor Disha Parmar were seen outside a restaurant in Mumbai. The two are likely to marry in June this year.
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.
- After Instagram account Diet Sabya pointed out the similarities between Arshi Khan's look at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party and Lady Gaga's look at the MTV VMAs 2020, fans responded.
- Devoleena Bhattarcharjee, who did a brief stint on Bigg Boss 14 filling in for Eijaz Khan, has rubbished rumours that she was getting married in 2021.
- Aly Goni shared a happy picture with Jasmin Bhasin, his first after Bigg Boss 14 ended. The two fell in love on the popular reality show.
- Rubina Dilaik and Abhinav Shukla were on the verge of separation, but they rebuilt their relationship on Bigg Boss 14. Here's how.
- Rakhi Sawant's first post after Bigg Boss 14 has left her friends and followers in awe of her resilience. Rakhi recently shared a picture of her mother in hospital, where she is undergoing cancer treatment.
- A video of comedian Kapil Sharma lashing out at the paparazzi earlier this week has divided Twitter. While his fans wished him well, others were 'perturbed' by his behaviour.
- Sidharth Shukla fans were in for a treat when he posted a short video of himself taking a dip in a swimming pool. Check out his post here.