Sherlock season 4 can be last because Cumberbatch, Freeman are too big now
Hit British TV drama Sherlock’s creator Steven Moffat thinks that the upcoming season of the hit drama, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, could be the last as its stars have busy Hollywood careers.
Moffat, the executive producer of the BBC One show, said he was “amazed” that the corporation had managed to secure Cumberbatch, who plays the eponymous detective, and Freeman, his sidekick Doctor Watson, for a fourth series, which is expected to air in early 2017, reported the Telegraph.
“I don’t know how long we can keep it going. I’m personally willing but I’m hardly the main draw. I would be moderately surprised if this was the last time we ever made this show. But it absolutely could be,” he said.
Sherlock, a modern day-set interpretation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories about of the famous fictional detective, has become one of the BBC’s most popular programmes, amassing a cult following, and has nominated for six Emmy Awards.
A Victorian-themed special episode, which aired in the New Year, was seen by more than 12 million viewers on BBC One.
The producer said that both Freeman, who starred in the Hobbit films, and Cumberbatch, who was nominated for an Oscar for playing Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, do the show for their fans.
“We do have two film stars in the programme. They haven’t needed to do these jobs for a very long time. They’re coming back because they want to.
“I’m amazed that we’ve got this far. I thought that once they had become extremely successful, we would only get to do one more series.
“There’s never going to come a time when we do a longer run, because this is what the series has become. It’s an occasional treat where you get three movies. It’s how it works.”
Moffat said that if the pair’s schedule became too hectic to commit to future series, the corporation could return to the show years down the line.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Pavitra Punia lashed out at those criticising her relationship with Eijaz Khan and reiterated that they do not need the approval of haters. The couple fell in love during Bigg Boss 14.
- Parth Samthaan opened up about his decision to quit the popular show, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, last year. He said that it had become repetitive for him after a point.
- Rakhi Sawant's Bigg Boss 14 colleague Vikas Gupta met her mother Jaya Sawant and cheered her up ahead of her cancer operation.
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Pavitra Punia had a quick response for the paparazzi, when they asked her why she wasn't accompanied by boyfriend Eijaz Khan at the airport.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.