Cannes Film Fest lines up impressive jury
This year, American director-brothers, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, will head a Competition jury of seven men and women at the Cannes Film Festival, running from May 13 to 24. The jurors are key figures in the world cinema from Canada, Spain, the USA, France, Mali, Mexico and Britain.
Here is a brief look at each one of them:Rossy de Palm (Actor - Spain)
In this May 17, 2014 file photo, actor Rossy de Palma poses for photographers as she arrives for the screening of Saint-Laurent at the 67th international film festival, Cannes, southern France. De Palma and Mexican director Guillermo del Toro will be part of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival from May 13 - 24. (AP)
She is an icon of Spanish cinema and 's muse: she inspired his 1986 film Law of Desire, performed in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, Kika and The Flower of my Secret , and then Broken Embraces (2009 Cannes). She rose to international acclaim in the early 1990s with directors like Robert Altman, Mike Figgis, Patrice Leconte and Mehdi Charef. She is set to appear in Pedro Almodóvar's next work.Sophie Marceau (Actor, Director - France)
A file photo taken on August 22, 2014 shows French actor Sophie Marceau posing at the Francophone Film Festival in Angouleme. According to a BVA poll published on March 28, 2015, late French actor Louis de Funes and Marceau are France's favourite actors. (AFP)
After winning a Cesar for Best 'Espoir' at the age of 16 for Claude Pinoteau's La Boum 2, her career grew impressively. Films include Police by Maurice Pialat, and L'Amour braque by Andrzej Zulawski. She caught international attention for Mel Gibson's Braveheart (1995) and the Bond movie - The World Is Not Enough (1999). Other notable credits include Don't Look Back, directed by Marina de Van and presented at Cannes in 2009. She has also written and directed two features, Parlez-moi d'amour (2002) et La Disparue de Deauville (2007).Sienna Miller (Actor - Britain)
Actor Sienna Miller wears an Oscar de la Renta dress as she arrives at the 87th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California February 22, 2015. (Reuters)
She first gained recognition with her role in Matthew Vaughn's Layer Cake (2004) and later in Sam Mendes' Cabaret, Bennett Miller's Foxcatcher (which debuted at the 2014 Cannes) and in American Sniper by Clint Eastwood. She has just finished filming High Rise by Ben Wheatley.Rokia Traoré (Singer, Songwriter - Mali)
Rokia Traoré is singer, songwriter and guitarist from Mali. (RokiaTraore/Facebook)
The inimitable Mali-born musician and singer Rokia Traoré has charted a distinctive course between tradition and modernity. Influenced by a nomadic childhood spent between Europe, the Middle East and Mali, the first disk by this singer songwriter with a captivating voice, Mouneïssa (1998), was highly acclaimed. Guillermo de Toro (Director, Writer, Producer - Mexico)
Guillermo de Toro is a Mexican film director, screenwriter, producer, and novelist. (AFP)
Toro is one of the most inventive among the new generation of Mexican directors, alongside Alfonso Cuarón and Alejandro González Iñárritu. Del Toro, who started out as a make-up artist and special effects specialist, now lives in the US. His filmography boasts a rich array of distinctive and flamboyant works shot through with fantasy and imagination. Toro presented Cronos, his first movie, in a parallel section at Cannes.Xavier Dolan (Director, Writer, Producer, Actor - Canada)
Canadian director Xavier Dolan arrives for the screening of the film Mommy at the 67th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France, on May 22, 2014. (AFP)
After shooting his first full-length movie, I Killed My Mother, at 20, he directed Heartbeats and Laurence. Both got an enthusiastic reception at Cannes' A Certain Regard. His Tom at the Farm was shown at the Venice Film Festival, where he was awarded the FIPRESCI Prize. His latest , Mommy, clinched the Jury Prize at last year's Cannes. Dolan is now working on his next feature, The Death and Life of John F. Donovan.Jake Gyllenhaal (Actor, US)
In this Oct 27, 2014 file photo actor Jake Gyllenhaal attends the New York premiere of Nightcrawler in New York. On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 it was announced actor Jake Gyllenhaal will be a member of the 2015 Cannes Film Festival jury, along with Mexican director Guillermo del Toro, Canadian filmmaker Xavier Dolan, Malian musician Rokia Traore, British actor Sienna Miller, French performer Sophie Marceau and Spanish actress Rossy de Palma. The jury will be led by filmmaking brothers Joel and Ethan Coen. (AP)
was raised in a family of artistes and made his cinema debut at 11. He was first noticed in 2001 in Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko, and he built a career composed of both independent cinema and blockbusters. Considered one of Hollywood's increasingly bankable stars, he appeared in Jarhead by Sam Mendes, Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain (Golden Lion in Venice) and in Zodiac by David Fincher (Cannes in 2007).
(Gautaman Bhaskaran has covered the Cannes Film Festival for 25 years.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.