Australian bushfire smoke turns New Zealand glaciers brown
Smoke from Australia’s bushfires has created a haze across New Zealand thousands of kilometres away with normally white glaciers turning a shade of caramel, according to social media posts Thursday.
The acrid-smelling smoke first appeared in the country early Wednesday when in many areas the sun appeared as either a red or golden orb, depending on the thickness of the haze.
“Smoke which has travelled around 2,000km across the Tasman Sea can clearly be seen,” New Zealand’s official forecaster MetService tweeted.
“Visibility in the smoke haze is as low as 10km in the worst affected areas.”
A Twitter user called Miss Roho tweeted: “We can actually smell the burning here in Christchurch.”
Another woman, Rachel, posted a photo of the Franz Josef Glacier -- more than 2,000 kilometres (1,240 miles) away -- with its usual pristine white taking on a brown hue.
“Near Franz Josef glacier. The ‘caramelised’ snow is caused by dust from the bushfires. It was white yesterday,” she said in a post Wednesday.
Comedian Jemaine Clement posted a photo of a golden orb.
“All the way over in NZ the Australian bushfire smoke in the atmosphere giving us this strange sun,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The opposition currently has 53 seats in the 100-member Senate, while Khan’s ruling alliance has 47 seats.
- The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that former president Trump will rise again to power on March 4 and that thousands will come to Washington, DC, to try to remove Democrats from office.
- At least 700 people were detained on Wednesday alone, with many of them reportedly swept up as forces conducted door-to-door searches.
- It has been taken to a different level by the Biden administration, accorded the same significance as Europe, which has dominated US diplomatic and military thinking and spending for more than a century now, starting with World War I.
- The regulator said the review is based on results from research in adults, which suggests the vaccine may help protect against the coronavirus.
- With over 11,600 square metres of habitable space, the commercial station will have many features expected in a cruise ship.
- Under the Senate bill, anyone earning up to $75,000 qualifies for the full $1,400 with the payment being cut off entirely at $80,000.
- The UK has also extended concessions for students unable to travel to the UK after getting admission to British educational institutions because of the Covid-19 pandemic. This was done due to the continuing disruption in international travel.