Diddy returns key to New York City in wake of video of him attacking singer Cassie - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Diddy returns key to New York City in wake of video of him attacking singer Cassie

PTI | By
Jun 16, 2024 04:33 PM IST

Sean 'Diddy' Combs returns the key to New York City in response to the video of him attacking his then-girlfriend Cassie Ventura.

Sean “Diddy” Combs has returned his key to New York City after a request from Mayor Eric Adams in response to the release of a video showing the music mogul attacking R&B singer Cassie, officials said Saturday.

Rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs apologized on May 19, 2024 after surveillance video surfaced showing him physically assaulting his then-girlfriend Casandra Ventura in 2016. Combs is the target of several civil lawsuits that characterize him as a violent sexual predator who used alcohol and drugs to subdue his victims, and his homes were raided this year by federal agents.(AFP)
Rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs apologized on May 19, 2024 after surveillance video surfaced showing him physically assaulting his then-girlfriend Casandra Ventura in 2016. Combs is the target of several civil lawsuits that characterize him as a violent sexual predator who used alcohol and drugs to subdue his victims, and his homes were raided this year by federal agents.(AFP)

The mayor's office said Combs returned the key after Adams sent letters to the embattled musician's offices in New York and California on June 4 rescinding the key and asking for it to be sent back to City Hall. The city received the key on June 10.

In his letter, Adams wrote he was “deeply disturbed” by the attack, adding “I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all survivors of domestic and gender-based violence”.

Combs' career has been derailed by numerous accusations of sexual abuse, as well as a federal criminal sex-trafficking investigation that led to raids of Combs' mansions in Los Angeles and Miami.

Also read | Stranger Things' Noah Schnapp forced to leave New York City nightclub for being ‘aggressively wasted’: Report

Exposed: ‘Disturbing’ video of Sean “Diddy” Combs assaulting Cassie Ventura

In May, CNN aired security video of Combs attacking Cassie in a hotel hallway in Los Angeles in 2016. Combs has said he is “truly sorry” for the attack on Cassie and called his actions “inexcusable”. Cassie, whose legal name is Cassandra Ventura, sued Combs last year, setting off a wave of increased scrutiny on Combs. That case was settled a day after it was filed.

Adams awarded Combs with the key at a ceremony last year that coincided with the release of a new album.

Also read | Joe Alwyn looks back on Taylor Swift romance: We had decided to keep our relationship private

Howard University this month rescinded an honorary degree awarded to Combs and ended a scholarship programme in his name following the release of the video involving Cassie.

Combs, founder of Bad Boy Records, is one of the most influential hip-hop producers and executives in the last three decades, turning musical success into a business empire.

An email sent to a representative listed online for Combs was not immediately returned. (AP) RDS RDS

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, July 19, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On