30,000 ordered to flee California wildfire
A raging wildfire that has destroyed scores of homes in the Santa Barbara hills menaced the celebrity enclave and other coastal towns Friday, and the number of people ordered to flee climbed to 30,000.world Updated: May 09, 2009 07:57 IST
A raging wildfire that has destroyed scores of homes in the Santa Barbara hills menaced the celebrity enclave and other coastal towns Friday, and the number of people ordered to flee climbed to 30,000.
Authorities warned an additional 23,000 to be ready to leave at a moment's notice.
Columns of smoke rose off the Santa Ynez Mountains as the 4-day-old blaze _ fanned by "sundowner" winds that sweep down the slopes in the evening _ blew up from 2,700 acres (1,100 hectares) to 3,500 acres (1,400 hectares) in less than a day, creating a firefighting front five miles long.
"It's crazy. The whole mountain looked like an inferno," said Maria Martinez, 50, who with her fiance hurriedly left her home in San Marcos Pass, on the edge of Santa Barbara. The couple went to an evacuation center at the University of California, Santa Barbara. An unknown number of homes were destroyed in the fires that began Thursday night, in addition to the estimated 75 houses that burned the night before on the ridges and in the canyons above Santa Barbara.
No deaths or serious injuries were reported.
The number of people ordered to evacuate rose to 30,500 from 12,000 the night before as the blaze pushed west toward neighboring Goleta and east toward well-to-do Montecito.
In a scene of strange contrasts, students bicycled to classes and midterms as ash fell on campus, and boats bobbed in Santa Barbara's harbor as smoke rose from the mountains above town. The Santa Barbara area has long been a favorite of celebrities. Oprah Winfrey has an estate in Montecito, where Charlie Chaplin's old seaside escape, the Montecito Inn, has stood since 1928. A ranch in the mountains that Ronald and Nancy Reagan bought became his Western retreat during his presidency.
More than 2,300 firefighters battled the blaze, using at least 246 engines, 14 air tankers and 15 helicopters. A DC-10 jumbo jet tanker capable of dumping huge loads of retardant began making runs on the fire in the afternoon.
The cause of the blaze, which broke out Tuesday, remained under investigation.
Evacuation shelters were set up, and hotels offered deals to evacuees.
"Right now, if you're not evacuated in the Santa Barbara area, you are sheltering evacuees," DiMizio said.
Oscar Funez, 39, his wife, Patricia, 42, and their son, Augustin, 4, were watching the fire on television Thursday night when they noticed other tenants leaving their Santa Barbara apartment building. They packed a suitcase and fled, too.
"It's our fourth fire in Santa Barbara. We know we have to have everything _ paperwork, clothes, everything _ ready to
go," Oscar Funez said.
At historic Santa Barbara Mission, established by the Spanish in 1786, the Rev. Tom Messner was one of three friars permitted to remain during the evacuation. He helped make sandwiches for the firefighters.
Messner said there was plenty of smoke, but "I can't see the flames, and we have firetrucks in front of the place, so we feel very safe." The church, a major tourist attraction, was built in 1820, after an earthquake destroyed the previous structure. Officials said 11 firefighters had been injured, including three burned in a firestorm Wednesday. They were reported in good condition at a Los Angeles burn center.
First Published: May 09, 2009 07:56 IST