Detained Indian doctor in Australia granted consular access

Mohammed Haneef, detained in Australia in connection with the failed UK bomb attacks, has been granted consular access.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Jul 06, 2007 03:50 PM IST
Copy Link
PTI | By, Melbourne

The Indian doctor, detained in Australia in connection with the failed UK bomb attacks, has been granted consular access.

A consul had met Mohammed Haneef, who was detained at Brisbane international airport on Monday, Deputy High commissioner Vinod Kumar told PTI but declined to give further details.

He said further details will be disclosed through Indian government back home.

However, according to Queensland-based Indian diplomat Sarva Daman Singh, no further information about Haneef was received from Australian government.

Singh said Haneef had earlier contacted the consul to contact his wife in India.

There had been only one communication from Haneef - when he was allowed to contact the consulate some hours after his arrest on Monday night, Singh told PTI on Thursday.

Another diplomatic source said Haneef's family had proclaimed their son's innocence, but there were fears that he might have fallen in with "the wrong crowd" while in Britain last year.

"Before leaving Liverpool, he gave his SIM card to colleagues - another doctor - it was no use to him," said the source adding "But having been in Liverpool with all these guys, perhaps the family don't know what he did."

The diplomatic source said Haneef's upbringing and education did not appear to indicate any political radicalisation.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Rishi Sunak reacts as Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks during a Cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street, in London.

    ‘Cannot continue like this’: What Rishi Sunak said as he quit Johnson cabinet

    British chancellor of the exchequer Rishi Sunak and health secretary Sajid Javid quit the government on Tuesday amid mounting pressure on Prime Minister Boris Johnson for appointing a tarnished member of the Parliament to a key government position.

  • Robert E Crimo was arrested hours after Illinois was gripped by shock and horror. 

    US July 4 parade shooting suspect charged with seven murder counts

    A 21-year-old man who allegedly opened fire on a July 4 parade in a wealthy Chicago suburb while disguised in women's clothing was charged with seven counts of first-degree murder on Tuesday, prosecutors said. Robert Crimo, 21, was arrested on Monday, several hours after the attack on a festive Independence Day crowd. More than 35 people were injured.

  • UN, US urge probe into deadly Uzbekistan unrest

    UN, US urge probe into deadly Uzbekistan unrest

    UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet and the United States both called Tuesday for a swift investigation into the deadly clashes at mass protests in Uzbekistan. Authorities in Uzbekistan said Monday that 18 people had died in clashes in the autonomous Karakalpakstan region on Friday after demonstrations erupted over planned constitutional changes affecting the territory's status. The United States separately voiced concern and urged all sides to seek a "peaceful resolution" to the tensions.

  • UK PM names Nadhim Zahawi as new finance minister after Rishi Sunak resigns

    UK PM names Nadhim Zahawi as new finance minister after Rishi Sunak resigns

    British Prime Minister Boris Johnson late Tuesday named his Iraqi-born education secretary, Nadhim Zahawi, as finance minister after the shock resignation of Rishi Sunak. Downing Street said Queen Elizabeth II had approved the appointment of Zahawi, who came to Britain as a child with his Kurdish family not speaking any English, before forging a lucrative business career. The prime minister named another loyalist, Michelle Donelan, to take Zahawi's place at the education ministry.

  • In July 4 US parade shooting, gunman fired over 70 rounds, says police

    In July 4 US parade shooting, gunman fired over 70 rounds, says police

    The gunman who attacked an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago fired more than 70 rounds with an AR-15-style gun that killed at least seven people, then evaded initial capture by dressing as a woman and blending into the fleeing crowd, police said Tuesday. More than 30 people were wounded in the attack, including one who died Tuesday, task force spokesman Christopher Covelli said. Robert Crimo spent several weeks planning the assault, Covelli said.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, July 06, 2022