Hollywood writers’ strike over

Updated on Feb 14, 2008 02:40 AM IST
Writers Guild of America West leader Patric Verrone said members had voted overwhelmingly to end the strike.
HT Image
HT Image
AFP | ByRob Woollard, Los Angeles

Hollywood screenwriters voted to end their three-month long strike here on Tuesday, union officials said, bringing to a close the US entertainment industry’s most damaging dispute for 20 years.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) West leader Patric Verrone said members had voted overwhelmingly to end the strike, with 92.5 per cent in favour following ballots conducted in Los Angeles and New York.

“The strike is over. Our membership has voted and writers can go back to work,” said Verrone.

The vote had been seen as a formality after WGA members voiced widespread support for a new contract presented to them by union leaders at the weekend. A second vote to ratify the contract will be held on February 25.

Writers downed tools on November 5, a move that sent shockwaves through the industry, forcing the postponement or cancellation of several television shows and movies, and causing hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.

Previous contract talks between the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) collapsed over the issue of payment for content broadcast free or bought over the Internet.

However a breakthrough in negotiations saw the WGA reach a tentative agreement with producers and a proposed new deal received enthusiastic backing after it was tabled to writers on Saturday. The new deal establishes a scale of royalty payments for writers whose work is sold over the Internet or streamed for free. Previously writers received nothing for online sales.

Industry analysts say the deal is important because traditional DVD and home video rental markets will eventually be rendered obsolete as technology allowing for Internet content to be seen on television becomes more widespread. “This was not a strike we wanted, but one we had to conduct in order to win jurisdiction and establish appropriate residuals for writing in new media and on the Internet,” Verrone said. “Those advances now give us a foothold in the digital age.”

A joint statement from the chiefs of eight major studios — including NCB Universal, CBS, Warner Bros, Disney — welcomed the end of the strike.

“This is a day of relief and optimism for everyone in the entertainment industry,” the statement said. “The strike has been extraordinarily difficult for all of us, but the hardest hit of all have been the many thousands of businesses, workers and families that are economically dependent on our industry.”

The writers strike has been one of the longest and most damaging in the entertainment industry’s history, with losses estimated at 2 billion dollars according to the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation. The strike cost an estimated loss of 733 million dollars.

“There have been very significant losses for companies that rely on seasonal work. They have lost 14 weeks worth of business,” said Jason Squire, a lecturer at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts.

The strike has also disrupted Hollywood’s awards season, leading to the cancellation of the Golden Globes awards after actors vowed to boycott the event, and casting a shadow over preparations for the February 24 Oscars.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Tourists go through pre-departure formalities at the Sanya Phoenix airport as stranded holidaymakers prepare to leave the Covid-hit resort city of Sanya on Hainan Island in China. (Photo by Str/AFP)

    Global Covid deaths drop by 9%, Omicron subvariant BA.5 remains dominant: WHO

    The WHO said that the Omicron subvariant BA.5 continues to remain dominant worldwide, contributing nearly 70 per cent to all virus sequences shared with the world's biggest publicly available virus database. It added that other Omicron subvariants such as BA.4 and BA.2, appear to be decreasing in prevalence as BA.5 takes control.

  • A view of Hangzhou city in China’s eastern Zhejiang province. (AFP)

    First special business flight with over 100 Indian traders lands in China

    A special flight with 107 Indian traders landed in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou on Tuesday, carrying many who were stuck in India since 2020 despite business interests in China because of the restrictions imposed by Beijing on international travel to contain Covid-19. This particular group of Indian merchants boarded the special China Southern Airlines flight from New Delhi and landed in Hangzhou, the capital of Zhejiang province, on Tuesday.

  • Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

    Mexican President proposes peace commission led by 3 leaders including PM Modi

    Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is planning to submit a written proposal to the UN to create a commission, made up of three world leaders, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, to promote a world truce for a period of five years, MSN web portal reported. The Mexican President proposed that the top commission should include Pope Francis, the UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, and Indian PM Narendra Modi.

  • Chinese military helicopters fly past Pingtan island, one of mainland China's closest points from Taiwan, in Fujian province on August 4, 2022. (AFP)

    In major policy shift, China says it will take Taiwan by force if necessary

    China on Wednesday, in only its third white paper on Taiwan since 1993 and the first after President Xi Jinping came to power in 2012, said it will not “renounce” the use of military force to bring the self-governed island under its control as its armed forces concluded the largest ever exercises around the island but announced that it will conduct regular patrols in the region.

  • The new animal origin virus is in the same genus as the Nipah virus, and so far these cases have not been fatal or very serious. (Bloomberg File Photo/Representative image)

    New zoonotic virus found in China, 35 known cases of infection: Study

    A new animal origin virus, which could infect humans, has been discovered in two provinces in China, scientists from China and Singapore have said in a new study. At least 35 such cases have been recorded in eastern China's Shandong province and central China's Henan province, said the study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on August 4.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, August 11, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now