Republican Huckabee takes Kansas
Republican White House hopeful Mike Huckabee on saturday got a boost to his lagging campaign for the party's presidential nomination when he won the Kansas caucuses, US media said.
With 79 percent of precincts reporting, the ordained Baptist preacher was winning with 62 per cent of the vote compared with 22 percent for Republican front-runner John McCain, CNN and Fox television news channels said.
Huckabee, 52, has put up a David-and-Goliath fight against veteran politician McCain, with his populist message proving a winner in the country's many more rural, conservative states.
McCain, 71, is all but guaranteed the Republican nomination after former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney pulled out of the race on Wednesday.
But he has yet to convince the party's core conservatives that he is the best candidate, after enraging them with his stands on illegal immigration and finance reforms.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India’s Biological E has tied up with J&J to potentially contract manufacture up to 600 million doses of its vaccine per year.
- The violence took place as the US announced new sanctions targeting military conglomerates after the deaths of dozens of civilian protesters.
- The changes are part of a draft decision submitted on the opening day of the week-long meeting of the National People’s Congress (NPC), China’s ceremonial legislature, which will all but certainly endorse it.
- A brief report published by news agency Xinhua says the central government will support the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) to build the passageway.
- Public Health England (PHE) said cases of the variant known as B.1.1.318 were first identified on February 15 and it was understood to have originated in the UK.
- The controversy over the investigation organised by the World Health Organization and China about the origins of Covid-19 heated up as a group of scientists called for an independent probe to consider all hypotheses and nail down whether the virus came from an animal.