Six dead, 16 hurt in varsity massacre

Updated on Feb 15, 2008 06:32 PM IST
A former student at Northern Illinois University opened fire at a university lecture hall on Valentine's Day.
HT Image
HT Image
AFP | ByMira Oberman, Chicago

A black-clad former student turned a university lecture hall into a Valentine's Day massacre on Thursday, killing five people and injuring 16 others before turning a gun on himself in the fifth US school shooting in a week, authorities said.

Armed with a shotgun and two handguns, he calmly stepped out from behind the curtain at the front of an auditorium just minutes before a geology class ended, officials and witnesses said.

Screams filled the hall as he sprayed a hail of bullets from the stage of the auditorium filled with dozens of students at Northern Illinois University.

"It started and ended within a matter of seconds," university police chief Donald Grady said at a press conference.

Police were in the room within two minutes of getting the call but did not have time to fire a single shot as the gunman was already dead on the stage.

"We have no apparent motive at this time."

The violence follows school shootings in Ohio, Louisiana, Tennessee and California that left a total of five dead.

Authorities gave no motive for the shooting and said the shooter had been a graduate sociology student last year but was currently not enrolled.

Witnesses described the shooter as a white male dressed in black around six-foot (1.8 meters) tall.

"He was aiming towards the crowd but I don't think he was aiming at a specific person," a witness named Sheila told WBBM radio.

"He was quiet. He just stood on the stage in front of everybody and started shooting.

"I saw him holding the gun and it was huge. I thought it was fake and then I realized he was really shooting at people and I got down," she said. "I saw a lot of blood. I have blood all over my clothes."

Students described, now-familiar scenes of panic, in the latest school shooting in the United States.

"I saw a lot of confusion," said Dominique Broxton, 22, describing the scene from her dorm room. "Students were running. People really didn't know what was going on."

The shooting came 10 months after 32 students and faculty were shot down by a mentally disturbed student at Virginia Tech University in the deadliest massacre ever at a US school.

Northern Illinois University was placed on a security alert in December after police found threats on a bathroom wall laced with racial slurs, references to the Virginia Tech shooting and a warning that "things will change most hastily" in the final days of the semester.

But university president John Peters said he did not think Thursday's shooting was related to the threats and said that while security has been heightened there was not much more officials could have done.

"I don't know of any plan that can prevent this tragedy," he said at a press conference. "Unless we lock every door I don't know how we can keep people out."

Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a teaching and research institution with a student enrolment of more than 25,000 and nearly 1,300 teachers. It has 862 international students from 88 nations.

Broxton said she could see two wounded students from her dorm room.

"The ambulance took away two students on the ground right outside my dorm," she said. "I don't know them. They looked bloody. Where I am right now, there are a lot of police, at least a dozen. There are police cars and trucks everywhere."

"There is an intercom system inside the dorm. Someone came on and stated that someone had been caught. They said they caught the shooter and that we should remain calm and stay in our rooms."

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Former president of the United States Donald Trump. (Joe Rondone/AP)

    'Top secret' documents seized in raid on Donald Trump's home: Report

    FBI agents recovered records marked "top secret" during their search of former president Donald Trump's Florida estate, according to documents made public Friday in a probe that includes possible violations of the US Espionage Act. The warrant and related materials, unsealed by a Florida judge, showed agents took away with them a significant amount of classified files after the raid, which ignited a political firestorm in an already bitterly divided country.

  • British author Salman Rushdie.

    Salman Rushdie had multiple stab wounds, says doctor who helped him

    Salman Rushdie suffered multiple stab wounds, including one to the right side of his neck, and was lying in a pool of blood under his body after he was attacked at an event here on Friday, according to a doctor who helped the Mumbai-born controversial author following the brutal assault. Rushdie was attacked and stabbed in the neck on Friday while onstage in Chautauqua in Western New York, New York Police said.

  • Representational image

    Montenegro mass shooting leaves 12 dead, 6 injured

    Twelve people including a gunman were killed in a mass shooting in Montenegro on Friday, according to local media reports, while another six were injured. Police at the scene in the western Montenegrin city of Cetinje declined to comment on the incident. The media reports said a man from Cetinje had opened fire at random in his neighbourhood after a family dispute, killing 11 people and injuring six others.

  • FILE PHOTO: The Mumbai-born novelist was speaking at an event at the Chautauqua Institution when the suspect ran up onto the stage and attacked Mr Rushdie and an interviewer.

    Terrible day for authors everywhere, say Salman Rushdie’s peers after NY attack

    Moments after the 75-year-old Booker Prize winner Salman Rushdie was attacked on a stage in New York, several celebrated authors took to Twitter to express their concern. Stephen King, the author of several horror books, including 'It' and 'The Shining', took to Twitter and wrote 'I hope Salman Rushdie is okay.' The US senator of New York Chuck Schumer called the incident a 'shocking and appalling attack on freedom of speech and thought.'

  • Videograb from aTwitter user showing Salman Rushdie being loaded onto a medical evacuation helicopter at Chautauqua, New York. 

    Salman Rushdie is alive and airlifted to safety, says New York governor

    British author Salman Rushdie, who was attacked and stabbed in the neck at a literary event on Friday in western New York state, is alive and has been airlifted to safety, said New York's governor Kathy Hochul. Rushdie, whose writings made him the target of Iranian death threats, was taken by helicopter to a local hospital. Social media footage showed people rushing to Rushdie's aid and administrating emergency medical care.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Saturday, August 13, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now