New Delhi: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) administration will take action against the students who organised and participated in a university lockdown strike on Monday.
The strike was called by tudents suspended by the administration for allegedly disrupting an academic council meeting in December last year. The students had entered the meeting to protest the university’s decision to implement the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) admission policy of giving 100% weightage to viva.
On Monday, these students had called for a lockdown and organised strike at different centres demanding the revoking of the suspension.
The university registrar, Pramod Kumar, said, “A handful of students illegally and forcibly prevented academic activities in JNU which is condemnable. They did not allow the employees to enter the different centres. Our security staff has recorded the videos of the disruption. We will see that and take action,” said Kumar.
On twitter too, Kumar called the strike an “illegal activity” and said students should resist politics. The protesting students said that they received support from the students and the call for strike was not illegal.
“Our demands are very logical and we will fight till the end. We have an unprecedented support as we are also fighting for the cause of the students,” said a member of the National Students Union of India.
The university administration said they have also received complaints of some students forcing teachers to plead that they be allowed to enter the centres.
Makarand R Paranjape, professor at the School of Languages said he was prevented from going to his office by tge striking Jawaharlal Nehru Student Union members.
“The stand-off continued for a long time. They shouted slogans against me, called me names, and hinted that I was outnumbered twenty to one. But I also shouted slogans that I would fight for my democratic rights and the rights of all those who wish to dissent. In the end, I succeeded, but only after I had offered satyagraha myself, sitting down in dharna, and holding the students’ feet to push them away from the door (sic),” Paranjape said on a social media website.
While on Monday the strike was called out by the suspended students, members of JNUSU are also on a hunger strike demanding the revoking of the UGC recommendations on admission.
Meanwhile, the JNU teachers association (JNUTA) will be taking the issue with the President of India, who is the visitor of the university, to apprise him of the matter.
“The Standing Committee on Admissions (which the Press Note surprisingly calls the ‘Steering Committee’) is a body that makes recommendations to the Academic Council. It is duplicitous, therefore, to suggest that it has arrived at some decisions/recommendations in advance of an AC meeting,” said JNUTA in a statement.
On February 4, the administration had said that the university would stick to the old admission policy of giving 80 marks to entrance test and 20 marks for viva.