1 killed as security forces look for militants day after attack in J-K’s Poonch
Firing resumed between troops and militants on Monday morning, following Sunday’s day-long operations in which three suicide attackers were gunned downindia Updated: Sep 12, 2016 19:10 IST
Security forces gunned down a militant on Monday morning in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch, a day after the army killed three extremists and foiled multiple infiltration bids in the troubled state.
A police officer told HT that the militant was killed around 9:30am but the deputy inspector general of Rajouri-Poonch, Johny Williams, said the gun battle was still on and one more extremist might be holed up inside a mini-secretariat building.
“We have two options. Either wear them out or demolish the building. The latter is a hard option. But they have no way to escape because cordon is on and security forces are on,” said Williams.
The gunfights close to the line of control (LoC) began on Sunday morning and further roiled the Valley, where the death toll in more than two months of street protests have climbed to 78 with thousands injured.
- Around 7.30 am on Sunday morning, a group of heavily armed militants enters Poonch allegedly from across the Line of Control.
- Rajinder Kumar or Raju, a havildar in the Special Branch of CID with Poonch Police, spots them entering an old bungalow and is shot dead by the militants.
- Militants also injure five others -- two army men, two police personnel and one civilian.
- One group of militants was holed up in the under-construction mini secretariat building, another in a private building next to the army’s Brigade headquarters in Allah Pir area of Poonch.
- Teams of army’s elite 9 Para and National Security Guard commandos airlifted from Udhampur to combat the threat
- Three militants dead in day-long gun battle, no bodies recovered yet. Security forces comb the area for other militants
- In a separate encounter in Nowgam, near the LoC, four militants killed by the army. Two other infiltration bids successfully foiled in Tangdhar and Gurez sectors.
- On Monday morning, fresh firing breaks out at the secretariat building. One militant reportedly killed, while the encounter continues.
“As the security personnel were conducting searches, fresh firing broke out. As of now we cannot give the exact number of militants but there could be one or two ultras. Yesterday, the forces had gunned down three suicide attackers,” Williams said.
Army sources told HT that the bodies of the three extremists were yet to be retrieved and operations were not over.
“As the security personnel were conducting searches, fresh firing broke out. As of now we cannot give the exact number of militants but there could be one or two ultras. Yesterday, the forces had gunned down three suicide attackers,” William said.
The army said bodies of the three militants were yet to be retrieved. Another attack on Sunday close to an army base saw soldiers kill four other infiltrators in north Kashmir.