BMC’s coastal road plan gets nod, travel from Princess Street flyover to Priyadarshani Park under sea | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

BMC’s coastal road plan gets nod, travel from Princess Street flyover to Priyadarshani Park under sea

Mumbai city news: The Rs15,000-crore project will begin from the Princess Street flyover with an under-sea tunnel to Priyadarshini Park

mumbai Updated: Jul 12, 2017 12:04 IST
Tanushree Venkatraman
The panel was formed after Marine Drive in South Mumbai was notified as a UNESCO world heritage precinct in 2015.
The panel was formed after Marine Drive in South Mumbai was notified as a UNESCO world heritage precinct in 2015.

A high-court appointed committee overlooking the Marine Drive precinct gave its in-principle nod to the coastal road project, which will start from the Princess Street flyover at Marine Drive. A civic official privy to the meeting held on Tuesday said the committee has asked the BMC to “merge the project with the overall character of the promenade” and maintain an “unhindered view” of the iconic precinct.

The Rs15,000-crore project will begin from the Princess Street flyover with an under-sea tunnel to Priyadarshini Park. The Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee (MHCC) had earlier rejected the alignment stating it would destroy the charm of the precinct. However, civic officials convinced members to keep the heritage precinct intact.

The Marine Drive area in South Mumbai was notified as a UNESCO world heritage precinct in 2015.

Read more: IN PICS: Under the sea, on a flyover and a sea link, Mumbai’s road travel to change forever

A high-court panel was appointed in 2015 after a temporary open-air gymnasium was raised at the precinct without the BMC’s approval. The committee consists of the municipal commissioner, police commissioner and the MHCC chairman. The committee earlier rejected proposals for temporary construction on the promenade.

A civic official said, “We are making sure all approvals are in before we issue tenders for the first phase of the project to avoid any interruptions in the future.” Civic officials said they are seeking no-objection certificates from the wards where the 29-km road will be passing even when the civic body itself is undertaking the first phase of the project.

Officials also said they are looking to complete tender work by November and initiate work from December-end for the first phase of the project. The first phase is from the Princess Street flyover to the Worli sea link at a stretch of 9.98km. The ambitious project will be a four-lane carriageway with parks, amphitheatre, open spaces and pedestrian pathways.