Stan Wawrinka, Milos Raonic put Australian Open participation in further doubt
Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic will not participate in the year-ending Mubadala World Tennis Championship (MWTC) through injury, once again raising doubts over their participation in the Australian Open.
Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic have each withdrawn from the year-ending Mubadala World Tennis Championship (MWTC) through injury, heightening doubts over their readiness for next month’s Australian Open.

Wawrinka missed the US Open due to a knee injury, while Raonic sat out the final grand slam of 2017 due to a wrist problem before being sidelined again with a damaged calf.
READ | Former Wimbledon tennis champion Marion Bartoli announces return to WTA Tour
On Wednesday, the MWTC’s official website revealed both players would not be present in Abu Dhabi next week.
Three-time slam-winner Wawrinka said: “Unfortunately I won’t be able to play in Abu Dhabi this year as I’m not ready yet to compete at this level.
“Together with my team, I’m working hard and we will do everything to be ready in time for the Australian Open.
“I’m sad that I won’t be able to play in front of the great fans at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship but I need to be patient and give my body the time it needs.”
READ | Serena Williams can strongly defend her Australian Open title: Johanna Konta
Earlier this month, Wawrinka had said: “The goal is to play the Australian Open, even if I’m not 100 per cent.”

E-Paper

