16 years of Kal Ho Naa Ho: Shah Rukh Khan wanted to quit, Kareena Kapoor turned it down
It’s 16 years of Shah Rukh Khan and Preity Zinta’s heartbreaking love story, Kal Ho Naa Ho, released. As producer Karan Johar called it ‘a love of lifetime within a heartbeat’, there are several details about the film and its making that makes it one of the most special films made by Karan and Shah Rukh together.
Setting the mood for the day, Karan wrote on Twitter about Nikkhil Advani directorial, “A love of a lifetime within a heartbeat! A film very close to my heart completes 16 years!!” #16YearsOfKalHoNaaHo.” It was showered with several reactions from fans who revisited their fondest memories of the film.
Here are some of the unknown facts about the film which went on to become a blockbuster at the box office.
Preity replaced Kareena Kapoor as the female lead in Kal Ho Naa Ho
Kal Ho Naa Ho was first offered to Kareena Kapoor but it came to Preity after she declined it. Preity had once told PTI in an interview, “It was very special to me because I lost my first love. I was in love with him, he was not. I felt strongly when the film was offered to me. Some of the best things have happened to me during that film.”
Karan had to deal with personal tragedy
After the success of Kal Ho Naa Ho, Karan suffered a setback as his filmmaker father Yash Johar died a few months later. Shah Rukh Khan also underwent a major surgery during the shooting. “It was one of those films that filled me with joy but it broke our hearts as well. It was a roller coaster ride... It is a timeless film. I am fortunate that I was a part of it,” Preity had said.
When Shah Rukh Khan contemplated to walk out of the film
Just four days into the shoot of the film, Shah Rukh Khan fell ill and told Karan, “I think I won’t be able to do it”. However, Nikkhil convinced Karan to wait for the actor to recover and the shoot finally resumed after a gap of six months.
Kal Ho Naa Ho tune was composed at a bakery
The popular Kal Ho Naa Ho tune was composed by Loy while sitting with Nikkhil at the German Bakery in Pune. Nikkhil was humming the song, My Heart will Go On and expressed his desire to have a tune with similar impact. It was then Loy came up with the tune that he recorded in his phone. Later, Shankar Mahadevan and Ehsaan Noorani listened to it , and came up with the entire title song of the film.
Karan regrets not directing Kal Ho Naa Ho
Karan Johar had confessed that he regrets not directing the film, which proved to be a dream debut for director Nikkhil Advani. The latter had told Hindustan Times in an interview, “I don’t blame him for regretting it. He wrote it from his heart. But, I think, he underestimated himself, and he thought that he won’t be able to do justice to it. Now when he says that, I feel his pain.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.
- Ranveer Singh's sister Ritika Bhavnani celebrated her birthday on Saturday and the entire Bhavnani family came together to celebrate the occasion by stepping out for a family dinner.
- Actor Ameesha Patel took to her social media accounts on Saturday to seemingly address reports that she'd defrauded a businessman.
- Genelia D'Souza once teased sons Rahyl and Riaan about Riteish Deshmukh's 'new girlfriend'. She said that the boys got rather 'upset' with him over the joke.
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.