Abu Salem on the big screen
Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai (2011) and the upcoming Shootout At Wadala chronicle the rise of underworld kingpin Dawood Ibrahim. Now, a film on one of his former associates, Abu Salem, is set to roll, with actor Nikhil Dwivedi playing the role of the dreaded gangster.
An industry insider reveals that the film has been named Captain, as it’s one of the aliases used by Salem. The project has been conceived, written and will be directed by debutant Navneet Behl, and traces the outlaw’s journey from obscurity to notoriety in a short period of time. Confirming the news, Nikhil says, “Unlike other infamous gangsters, who took decades to be where they are today, he became one of the most dreaded gangsters in Mumbai in just seven years. That’s what I found so fascinating.”
Salem, presently in Arthur Road jail, is serving time for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, and the murder of music composer and owner of the T-Series music label, Gulshan Kumar, in 1997.
“There was a time when the whole film industry was completely crippled with fear of this man. The film is about what made him so powerful,” says Nikhil, who has two films — Hate Story and Tamanchey — releasing this year. Ask whether he’s apprehensive about playing a notorious don, and the actor says, “Why should I be nervous? This is not a film on Dawood Ibrahim.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.
- On International Women's Day, Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter to share pictures with the favourite women in her life. She also said how everyday was 'Women's Day'.
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.