Divya Dutta: There is a tendency to celebrate some kind of mediocrity in Bollywood
She has been around in the entertainment industry long enough to realise the shift that has happened after the OTT boom, and Divya Dutta acknowledges how the platform has been anything but a boon, irrespective of what anyone else says.
“I think it’s a very democratic platform. It puts everyone on the same place where you can just be there whoever you are however you are. The content is put to the audience and they can choose whatever they want, inconsequential of screen timing given in theatres and all that stuff,” says Dutta, who is coming fresh off the success of her two OTT projects — Ram Singh Charlie and Hostages 2, besides others lined up for launch.
So does she fear that the star system penetration can happen on OTT?
“As long as the audience is fine, it should be fine. Now, you see so many actors who haven’t gotten their due, doing central roles in web series and they are being accepted loved and admired, the line is diminishing. Yes we do have that thing that they would want to celebrate some kind of mediocrity in Bollywood and leave the other stuff around. But with OTT that is just not possible. It is thrown directly at the audience,” adds the 43-year-old.
Pointing out the whole modus operandi of the cinemas, the actor says small films get lost amid the big releases and that is a problem which OTTs don’t have.
“Theatre pe chhoti films ko ek addh show milta hai and badi films ko bahut saara. I think it is nice that it (OTT) equalizes everyone and takes away that sort of typical star system out of the way,” she explains.
Dutta also gives a lot of credit to the audience as she feels they have always been fair. “It is people at marketing and commercials who kind of thrive on this kind of numbers stuff. The audience has also kind of changed a lot. Before they said main tabhi picture dekhunga agar usme mera favourite hero hoga, now they are watching content,” the actor explains.
Having said that, the actor feels theatrical releases are not under any kind of threat at all. In fact, she believes that whenever theatres reopen, people will throng to cinemas and she is also one of them.
“Let’s not get away from the fact that there is magic of theatre and magic of stars and magic of the huge screen, huge grandeur and people like to watch it. I am waiting for Sooryavanshi and Aamir’s film.. woh charm rahega bade parde ka,” she concludes.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.