Javed Akhtar blasts Shekhar Kapur for ‘fear of intellectuals’ comment, says ‘cut this melodrama, go see a psychiatrist’
Writer Javed Akhtar has lashed out at filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, after the director wrote in a tweet that he has a ‘fear of intellectuals’. Akhtar suggested in his response that the filmmaker should seek psychiatric help.
On Saturday, Kapur had written in a tweet, “Started life as refugee of Partition. Parents gave everything to make a life for kids. Was always in fear of ‘intellectuals’. They made me feel insignificant. Small. Then suddenly embraced me after my films. I still fear them. Their embrace is like a bite of snake. Still a refugee.”
Akhtar wrote back, “Who are these intellectuals who embraced you and you found that embrace like a snake’s bite? Shyam Benegal , Adoor Gopal Krishna , Ram Chandra Guha? Really? Shekhar saheb you are not well . You need help. Come on, there is no shame in meeting a good psychiatrist.”
He added, “What do you mean by still a refugee Does it mean that you feel like an outsider n not an Indian and you don’t feel that this is your motherland. If in India you are still a refugee where will you not feel like a refugee ,In Pakistan? Cut this melodrama you poor rich but lonely guy.”
He continued, “You introduce yourself as neither prejudiced by the past nor afraid of the future living in this moment and in the same breath you say you are a refugee of partition and still a refugee. One doesn’t need a magnifying glass to see the contradiction.”
The disagreement comes in the wake of a letter signed by 49 intellectuals, artists and professionals addressed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, asking him to take action against mob lynchings against minorities in the country. This was followed by a rebuttal by a separate faction of 62 eminent personalities including Kangana Ranaut and Prasoon Joshi, who claimed that this was a case of ‘selective outrage’.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Priyanka Chopra has said that she regrets endorsing fairness creams in India, but as a child she believed that dark skin wasn't pretty and would put talcum powder on her face.
- Pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's sangeet function have been shared online by Zoa Morani. Check them out here.
- New pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's mehendi ceremony have arrived online. Check them out here.
Akshay Oberoi: We lucked out as there were no Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar sort of big films releasing in 2020
Republic Day special | John Abraham: Honesty in playing a person who cares for his country comes naturally to me
- Varun Dhawan's wife, Natasha Dalal, got her wedding makeup done in 35 minutes, artist Namrata Soni has said.
- On the second anniversary of Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, Kangana Ranaut has accused the movie 'mafia' of launching negative campaigns against her and the film.
- Remo D'Souza has shared a video of himself, dancing with his doctors, after recovering from a heart attack recently.
- Varun Dhawan's Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania and Badrinath Ki Dulhania director, Shashank Khaitan, has some advice for the actor's wife, Natasha Dalal.
- Late actor Irrfan Khan's son, Babil, has said that he has no interest in doing films that make ₹100 crore but have no artistic value.