Nawazuddin Siddiqui: If you portray the film industry as a ‘blackhole, where will lakhs of aspirants go?
Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui has been the quintessential outsider, as the term goes. A lot of actors like him, such as Manoj Bajpayee, Irrfan and more made it big, despite lacking connections. And in that, feels Siddiqui, lies the real test.
“Of course it’s a struggle. Whoever comes in this industry, wishes to be a star or an actor. When you go to any place which is new, it is a struggle, that is the only thing with which we can fight, asaani se toh koi bhi cheez nahi mil sakti. If you get it easily, then you don’t value it. When you get success after struggling, it has it’s own happiness,” he says.
There was a phase where Siddiqui didn’t get work, and when he went into depression. Recalling that phase, he asserts, “Mere saath ek baar hua tha, kya karein. I didn’t have work, and aisa halka-phulka depression kisi ko bhi ho jaata hai. But it wasn’t like I can’t (do anything)... you yourself will have to overcome that.”
Clearly, the 46-year-old, who has been a part of films such as The Lunchbox, Gangs of Wasseypur franchise and this year, Ghoomketu and Serious Men, likes to look at everything in a positive way. Having spent close to 20 years in films, it is like home for him. A home, which in 2020, had to endure a lot of criticism.
It was even called a ‘gutter’. Siddiqui says he gets “angry” when he hears this.
“This is not good. Bollywood is not just 20-22 people, it’s lakhs of people. It’s an entire industry, thousands of makeup people, spot boys, music industry, singers, set designers. It’s a growing industry, who pays taxes,” argues the actor on the generalisation.
Coming to the name calling, he continues, “ Aap industry ko ajeeb names bolte hain- blackhole, galat hai. Theek hai, agar koi galat hai, voh har jagah hota hai, aisi baat nahi hai. It’s wrong to target the entire industry. To call a growing industry that… we have lakhs of talented people in our country, who want to come into this industry. If you show our industry in such a light, and show such a picture, where will those lakhs of talented people go?”
Interact with the author on Twitter/ @RishabhSuri02
Follow @htshowbiz for Twitter
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.